Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Possible Coyote Problem

rivitir

I personally have lived my entire life in Indiana and never once had a problem with them. I would hear them howl in the distance but thats about it. That has now changed. I just moved into a new place near some woods and have been noticing that local cats are disappearing and I have yet to see a rabbit. I've been seeing them very near my home and have been hearing them howling every night multiple times. I'm pretty sure they have a den in the woods just across a small field from my home. And based on the howls I'm guessing its a large pack.

So basically I want to help out with Coyote population control should the need arise and they get to close to my home while my family or dog is outside.

I need something quick and easy to grab, has good stopping power, can shoot multiple shots quickly, and small enough my wife would be comfortable shooting it. I'm thinking a 30-30 lever would be good but I would like to know what cal or type of gun would you suggest?

And yes 8uck, I wish I kept my .357 lever... would be very handy now.

Thanks for the feedback.

If they are coming in close a shotgun with duck loads. I used to have a girl friend that lived in the sticks. She kept a 20 ga with duck loads by the back door and it was very effective. Trying to show off once I put a 45 cal hole in her block fence. The shotgun at apx 40 yards would not do much damage to the fence.

If there are no animal lovers around, you or your neighbors don't have any pets to worry about. Anti-freeze is very effective as a poison but make sure you're not violating any law. Poison can be a cruel painful death for the yotes and I wouldn't use it unless it was absolutely necessary to protect your livestock or children.

I live in the sticks of Oklahoma and we have a lot of coyotes. A coyote is hard to get the drop on and take good aim so I recomend the shotgun idea.Another very effective rifle is a ruger 44 mag semi auto carbine. That is a bad cat at close range and is very small , little recoil and wont travel a mile. They dont make em anymore but with some lookin you can find em for 300 or 400 bucks used. Another idea is a leg trap with some bacon on it. No meat eatin critter in the world can resist bacon. Then you can take a little more care when shooting. Antifreeze last I heard is different than it used to be so its not as poisonous and poison is a pretty bad way to die anyway. I am kinda soft hearted and hate for even a coyote to suffer. I never had much trouble with em around here so they may not be much of a problem for ya cause they are pretty scared of humans. Most ranchers around here kill em and hang em on the nearest fence and they kinda clear out of that area so if you dont have neighbors I would recomend that. Otherwise you may hafta kill em all to get rid of em. Good Luck

Paul S

If you got the cash I would opt for the Ruger 77/44 bolt action. If you don't knock em the first time your not gonna get another shot with the patch of woods that close. They'll be gone before you can blink.

Yup That .357 mag would have done you well in this case living on the outskirts of town.

You could always go inexpensive and pick up a single shot Handi-rifles in one of the pistol calibers. (.357, .44, or .45 Long colt). Use it on yotes and deer...

Thank you for all the feed back. You've given me much to think about.

I really liked the idea of the 20ga. It's cheap since I can pick one up for less than $200, ammo is inexpensive and easy to acquire, and I'm sure my wife would feel comfortable shooting it. I've also been talking to her about trying trap/skeet shooting so she could use the shotgun for that as well.

I'll be the odd man out - why not use a Mauser? I promise you that a 180grn 8mm bullet will kill a coyote. :D

Well Jason if you were trying to pick a single trophy out I'd agree.

However the idea is to thin out a pack.

You want the capacity to take out a half dozen or so at a time if you get the opportunity.

T ;)

Thank you for all the feed back. You've given me much to think about.

I really liked the idea of the 20ga. It's cheap since I can pick one up for less than $200, ammo is inexpensive and easy to acquire, and I'm sure my wife would feel comfortable shooting it. I've also been talking to her about trying trap/skeet shooting so she could use the shotgun for that as well.

Keep in mind the duck lods will recoil considerably more than skeet loads.

Well Jason if you were trying to pick a single trophy out I'd agree.

However the idea is to thin out a pack.

You want the capacity to take out a half dozen or so at a time if you get the opportunity.

T ;)

If you can get a pack of coyotes to stand still long enough to thin all them out, you're a better man than I!

If you have access to cable or satellite TV and have one of the Sportsman's channels tune into Predator Nation. Try and learn to mimic the YUUUP yell the coyote hunters use. The Coyotes often stop, turn around and look for the yell. It gives you about a 2-3 second window to aim and shoot.

I hunted them years ago but since the hides are now not worth the work or time I haven't been at it for years. Back in the late 70's and early 80's I had a neighbor that would pay 10-20 bux just for the carcass and he'd do the dirty work of skinning. Now I don't think you can get that much for a properly skinned hide. I usually see one or two during dove season and all I do now is just run them off by throwing rocks, yelling or clapping my hands.

When I was a mailman I had a customer that had raised two coyotes he found as pups. Besides the howls they were just like pet dogs. They'd come running when he called and would greet him at the gate when he came home from work. He claimed they had to be castrated at a very young age to keep them tame.

Spoke to the wife about it. She doesn't like the idea of getting another gun period, no matter what type/kind. So for now I just keep her .22LR loaded and I'll keep my long tom 12ga handy. She is a really good shot with her .22LR at the range but not to sure how well she would do when things are crazy. I guess if we ever do have a problem, and I'm not around, we'll see what happens. At least a .22LR is better than nothing.

I may talk her into getting a 20ga down the road or so... we'll see. I know she will want one once I take her skeet shooting. :D