Military Firearm Restoration Corner

May Have A Decent Action?

8uck5nort

Went to the local gunshow today and had money in my pocket. Came home with a Nazi BCD action with all the waffen stamps. It had been rechambered to 8mm-06. It also had a peep sit affixed to it at one time, but someone replaced it with a Lyman scope (not in good shape) and scope bridge with low rings (havent figured out how to get that off the scope yet. Hoped to reuse the rings and scope bridge. So far so good right. Bolt has been turned down and low scope saftey already installed for 200 out the door. Thought I hade a decent deal, but when I took the scope bridge off I realized the screw spacing put right on top of the rear lug seating ring... Ok, I got a little upset, but then started to look more closely. The scope bridge is thick and the screws were fairly short. I inspected further and the screw hole do not go completely through the lug seating ring. I am soaking the action in WD-40 tank and will remove barrel to inspect the the other hole in a couple of weeks.

So here is my question. When or was/is it safely acceptable to drill into the lugs rings, without going through, and not compromise the action? I know if you drill down into the face your screwed because you have compromised the hardened steel on the face of the lug. But if you drilled into the upper metal or well behind the lug seating face that should not compromise the action and make it a paper wieght, right??? I can post some pix.

I had planned on making this a 30-06 by adding a new barrel since the mag well has been lengthened for 8mm-06. However, if it is questionable then I will eiher ditch it or thik about a much lower pressure round. The action is in very good shape with no rust or pitting. The barrel still has decent rifling in it. It would be real pity to junk this. Not sure what to do about the scope, wonder if Lyman has lifetime guarantees on scopes?

I'll just offer this for consideration.

Columbia modified Mausers from 7MM to 30-06 to use stripper clips by taking a "U" shaped chunk out of the

back of the ring at 12:00 which is just behind the upper lug.

They did this mod by the thousands and I haven't heard of any failing.

Do you think that a screw hole would be any worse to the structural integrity than removing a "U" shaped

chunk from the back of the ring?

Food for thought.

Tinker ;)

Thanks Tinker.

I have not heard of or seen the Columbian modification, but if I'm understaing you correctly your telling me they carved out some of the meat in the primary lug ring to get a longer 30-06 to load by stripper clip. If that is the case this has to less material removed compared to that. I guess then it comes down to where the material is removed. I don't think they went completely through the action on the front dill and tap either.

I am not going to push any envelopes here with trying to build a magnum action. Just would like to build a decent looking rifle that can shoot moderatly loadeded or commercial 30-06 for future hunting rifle.

Do you have any idea on the Lyman scope? I am looking to replace the scope with a new one. Not sure this one is worth fixing. The rings and bridge are in real good shape as far as I can tell. Would like to get the rings off the scope tube but don't see a way to do it. Not sure how they got them on there in the first place. They look like solid pieces with a "split: along the bottom.

Here is the pics of the scope and mount. I was wroing it was a weaver V7. I also included the action drill and tap and barrel. Let me know what you guys think.

Scope:

post-5537-128140736952_thumb.jpg

post-5537-128140756037_thumb.jpg

post-5537-128140767195_thumb.jpg

post-5537-128140745598_thumb.jpg

Action:

post-5537-128140740279_thumb.jpg

post-5537-12814075406_thumb.jpg

post-5537-128140750065_thumb.jpg

post-5537-128140760791_thumb.jpg

post-5537-128140763713_thumb.jpg

Barrel:

post-5537-128140731697_thumb.jpg

Thanks DirtyJim,

I did some reading up on the Buehler rings and these are older solid rings for older non-inert gas filled scopes. I guess I can't use these rings with a modern scope. Found some "newer" split rings for around 25.00 bucks.

I've decided to keep and proceed with builidng out the action.

Well its in the WD40 tank now.

On another note I got a sandblater rig from harbor Freight and used air compressor from my Dad. It works for what I need it to do. So it looks like I'll be finishing some rifles in the next couple of weeks!

Me, I would send it down the road and get a good looking action. Structurally, it's most likely fine. But, I hate to see someone build a nice rifle on an action that, once finished, they may not feel is as nice as the rest of the rifle.

Three holes in the siderail and front ring for a side mount scope. You can unplug the one in the front ring and call it a gas port. :D

It really all depends on what "caliber" rifle you want. By that I mean grade rifle you want to end up with. As I said, structurally....probably fine.

If that scope is toast, I'd be interested in buying the turret caps off of you.