Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Basket Case Garand...part Dieux

Sailormilan2

I have spent the past two weeks working on a Basket case Garand that I got from a guy on another forum. I knew when I got it from him it would require some work. But, it took a bit more than I had planned.

It was a CAI import, with a barrel totally gone. Rusted, and worn. Missing the rear sights, and a broken safety. Stock was a POS birch stock, with both handgaurds cracked and no good.

First thing I did was order a good used barrel, but when it got here it would not headspace to the bolt. So, I had to order another bolt. I ordered a -19 SA bolt, which is a good match for the 3.2 million receiver. It headspace perfectly and required very little lapping.

Yesterday, I bead blasted everything and reparked it, using a home parkerizing solution in the manganese phosphate type. This gun is destined for a buddy, and he wanted it black.

Boyd's had a stock special last week, in the slim cut WW2 style stocks. So I ordered 2..one for my buddy's gun, and one for my #2 son's Garand. Yesterday the stocks got here. I did some minor fitting last night, and this morning I finished them. My buddy's stock is finished in Early American stain, and currently has 3 coats of Tung Oil.

#2 sons's Garand started life here as a Rack Grade Woodless Dane from the CMP. I had to replace the barrel, and the barrel that is on it now is just a temperary barrel for fitting things. It is finished in WW2 style zinc phosphate parkerisng, the mid grey finish shows the lead dipped heel. The stpock is finished in 2 coats of Tung Oil.

They are now installed on the guns. There are a few parts that need to be installed, but for all intents and purposes, they are done.

000_2125.jpg

My #2 Son's Garand:

000_2127.jpg

Beautiful work! The rifles look superb.

I have had good luck with Boyds, and have been pleased with the stocks I have put on both a Mosin and an Enfield.