Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Some Advice.

8uck5nort

I got two solid days of working with my rifles this weekend.

I blasted, parked three rifles and duracoated two rifles to bring the projects to a completion. Pics coming soon.

I finished my original Carcano in 6.5mm and left it parked. Will be taking that to the range Wednesday for the first time to see how it shoots. Left it in parked finish. The barrel seals held up and it look pretty good for my first parking job. Not perfect, but not bad.

However, my Nagant and .357 Carcano I had issues with. Both leaked parking solutions into the barrels. I am getting silicone plugs next time instead of using cork. I have done some digging and you can remove parking with this:

http://www.iosso.com/metal.htm

QUICKSTRIP

A revolutionary new product designed to remove parkerizing and blueing within minutes without etching. Just immerse parts into Quickstrip solution and let soak for several minutes. Watch closely until completely stripped, then remove, and rinse thoroughly with water. No need to bead blast. Solution is reusable. Quickstrip does not contain a rust inhibitor. Easy to use - little odor! Environmentally friendly. - Expensive at 30 bucks a bottle. That hopefully I'll never have to use again.

But I have no experience. I was thinking of cleaning the barrels really good with a brass jag ot a bronze bristle brush and some quad 0 steel wool to smooth the parking back down to the metal and be done with it, but wanted some feedback. I am not entering these into any sharp shooting contest. They just have to hit a coyote or deers critical body mass at 100 to 200 yards and I'm happy. Won't the act of shooting wear the parking solution out anyway. The more I thought about it may even help the nagant since it had a used barrel and put material back in it. (Always the optimist) :-)

Let me know your thoughts gentleman and appreciate them in advance.

Darin

Park doesn't really like to cling to slick surfaces so the inside of the barrel probably isn't too bad. I'd scrub it will as Sailor suggested, shoot it a few times and evaluate the situtation. I've read on the FAL Files that you'll eventually shoot the park out of the barrel if any leaked in. The same goes for hot bluing - most of the gunsmiths I've talked to have do or have done hot bluing don't even plug the barrel. The finish eventually scrubs out anyway.