Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Desert Eagle

8uck5nort

I am toying with the idea of picking one up. Don't know much about them, but want a side arm to accompany my growing pistol caliber rifle collection. I know it would be less expensive to go revolver (and I still might just do that).

I am looking at one in 44 mag and/or in 357 mag for around 800 to 1000. That is a lot of change in my book so I am leary.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

A friend of mine has a big .50. Its fun to shoot and pretty accurate all things considered. I would like to buy one some day myself. From what I read, you can change the barrel, bolt head, and magazine on a Desert Eagle and interchange between .357, .44, and .50.

The only thing I didn't like about his pistol - other than it was about $3.50 a pop - was that it ejected straight up and back. That guaranteed that I got hit in the face by a hot ejected case every time I shot it. I would imagine that could be remedied by adjusting my shooting stance though.

Does Magnum Research still make the big bore eagles?

That would be a pretty cool feature to switch calibers like that, but only if you could do it economically.

I have found some 44 mags in the 500 to 600 dollar range so it is becoming more of a possibility. Not sure if that means "this is one messed up pistol"????

To truthful, I don't know all the particulars on them; just what I read. Magnum Research does sell a Desert Eagle in .50AE (that's what the big guy had on the movie "Snatch").

$600 for a .44 magnum wouldn't be a bad deal. There are parts, barrels, etc available for these pistols in case something is wrong with it. Plus, I believe Magnum Research is still in business in case you need work done.

I'd go for it.

I think they are very cool. I would love to have one with the conversion sets for 357, 44, 50AE. Now, having never even shot one and just passing on "net wisdom" ("I heard it on teh w3bz, y0"), I have heard people say the things have jamming problems. Surely there must be a forum out here somewhere devoted to those things.