Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Opening Day Of Dove Season

AzRednek

Last year I thought I had located the ideal spot for dove hunting. Last year off the tailgate of my truck or a camping chair I got my daily limit every time. This year in my favorite location, I only got one.

I was hunting next to a very large dry wash. The dove fly out of the wash and come up to level ground about 10 feet high. Shooting with an improved cylinder choke. I was getting my daily bag limit of ten last year with an average of 15-25 shells, never more than a box.

Typical of opening day it sounded like a shooting gallery after the sun came up but the dove or any birds were not flying in my favorite area. Within a few hundred yards of my location though there wasn't much shooting going on. Most the shooting I was hearing was a 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. I got up way to early and arrived in plenty of time to secure the location only wasted time.

After talking with other hunters in the area I found out what was going on and why the dove were scarce. My spot is about 150 yards away from an old cattle pen. Some jerk or jerks gave the gun control advocates ammunition. The water tubs for the cattle were shot full of holes. Possibly it was animal lovers that vandalized the water supply and there have been some clashes in the area between hunters and hot air balloon chasers. From the way the water tubs were shot it looked as though it was deliberately done to keep them dry.

I found a better spot in the late afternoon, got a few dove then tripped over a large rock stepping backward. About 5-10 minutes later I was hurting so bad from the falling on my ass, I threw in the towel. So my total for opening day was a lousy 4 birds. Hardly enough to make a meal for one person.

If it could go wrong it did in the afternoon hunt. I forgot my jug of ice water but did bring my cooler. All I had in the cooler were 2 cans of diet Pepsi and a can of Starbucks. I don't know what the temperature was but the high for the day was 109. Anybody that works in the heat knows one is supposed to keep drinking water until your piss is clear. All the diet Pepsi did was make me thirstier. I also had to deal with another hunter that wanted to shoot the sh!t while birds flew past. From the look on his face it appeared to hurt his feelings when I told I had to go and get busy hunting. After missing several shots in a row I figured out I had the O/U barrel switch ass-backward. I was shooting close shots with the full choke and following up or taking long shots with the improved.

Predicted high today is 111. I may give it a try this afternoon but I sure as hell wont forget my water jug or which way the barrel switch goes!!

Fortunately we can still use lead for dove, quail and most other birds. I roll my own using 1 1/4 ounce of #7(not 7 1/2)Ducks on federal land is the sore spot here where steel is required here. I believe most the hunting near the Colorado river steel is required.

Never had the warden check my shells. I have had my mag tube checked a few times when I used to use a pump and auto. Last year the warden counted my birds, said he had written a few tickets in the area for quail. Quail season starts next month.

Did a bit better tonight. Only got 6 dove out of 19 shells, 4 short of the limit. I'll try and get an earlier start tomorrow. Hopefully I can drag my ass out of bed at about 4:30 AM and see how well I do in the morning.