Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Where to go from here

bubbamauser

Taps are available to clean up the threads. Hopefully you've got enought meat left.

Link to tap

Don't be too hard on yourself. Experience is hard to come by. Everyone screws-up. The trick is in knowing how to hide it smile.gif .

That tap will cost you almost as much as another receiver. Sarco sells the Yugo intermediate length actions for around $70. Whether or not they accept C&R on them is another question. They should have to go through a 01 licensee.

I'm with Jason though, get another receiver. That one from GPC, even going through a FFL, will cost less than the tap (with shipping added).

I just remembered--I have one of those taps. If you can post a pic of the receiver, maybe we can determine if it is rethreadable. If so, I can loan you the tap. It will cost far less than buying one for a one-time use.

Let me know.

fritz

I got the stump of barrel ground out of the yugo, threads are unuseable. Rather than a paper weight with the inscription "ask experienced people first A##hole"

any thoughts on a low pressure cartridge I could get a barrel in and rethread the action to take.

4901[/snapback]

I'm going to go with the others here-start over. A good gunsmith could rethread the action, and thread a barrel blank to fit, however, that kind of work is not cheap. If the threads can be "cleaned up" with a tap, that might be another matter. However, if the threads are partially ground away-which it sounds like you are talking about-even with a "low pressure" cartridge you could be creating a potential bomb.

And, it's not like you have lost everything. You must still have the bolt and bottom metal. Maybe someday you'll have the chance to pick up a stripped action, or perhaps sell them to recoup some of your loss.

The first rule of this kind of work-DON'T TAKE CHANCES!

I'm going to go with the others here-start over.    A good gunsmith could rethread the action, and thread a barrel blank to fit, however, that kind of work is not cheap.  If the threads can be "cleaned up" with a tap, that might be another matter.  However, if the threads are partially ground away-which it sounds like you are talking about-even with a "low pressure" cartridge you could be creating a potential bomb.

And, it's not like you have lost everything.  You must still have the bolt and bottom metal.  Maybe someday you'll have the chance to pick up a stripped action, or perhaps sell them to recoup some of your loss.

The first rule of this kind of work-DON'T TAKE CHANCES!

5000[/snapback]

Rethreading of Remingtons is done all the time. The prefered method is to single point them. However, there is a fixture involved, that I doubt anyone would have for a mauser. Provided the smith did have the know how to set up a mauser action properly it could be done but as has been said, it would be much cheaper to simply buy a new receiver, whole gun for that matter.

Like pedestal said, "The first rule of this kind of work-DON'T TAKE CHANCES!"

Don't be angry with yourself, I can assure you years from now you will reflect on it as a learning experience and likely laugh about it. I don't know what you have invested in it but you can recoup a portion of it selling it as individual parts on Ebay.

I can share an experience I had when I was in my early 20's rebuilding automatic tramsmissions. I rebuilt two ford C-4's what I thought was perfect, sparing no expense or labor. Neither worked because I failed to pay attention to the band setting in the manuals. It never occured to me to look and see if the settings were in inch or foot pounds. I spent months responding to the moniker Heavy Duty. My third attempt went into an RV, I thought the owner was going to kiss me when I told him with all the confidence I earned the hard way, his tranny will be good for at least a hundred thousand miles.

It wont let me post pictures, says I dont have permission for the up loads directory

I have been able to clean the threads up with a engraver point and screw the barrel on, it actually is pretty solid I want to get the picture up so I can get some feed back on wether it is safe. some areas of thread are about 1mm some are full

First off, glad to be of help with the pic posting. Now as for the receiver I am no expert, but I have to say I am in agreement that the safety due to the threads concerns me. Maybe a pistol caliber like the 45 conversion barrels Rineland has would be acceptable, but that is a maybe only. Certainly I would not go with any high pressure barrels on this one. I suppose with a low pressure barrel like the 45 you could even pin the barrel into place after screwing it into the receiver and setting the headspace. It is done on some guns and they have shot thousands of rounds. These are however only thoughts and I make no claim as to there safety on such a project as this. Don't feel that you are the only one that has done something like this, as I suspect we all have done things that we came to regret many times. As I was once told by a boss, if you don't make mistakes sometimes then you are not doing anything. swamp thing

Z1R and guys, I was looking at the first pic and does it look like the inner shoulder is beleveled? If so I would not use the action. I say don't use it, get another action. You have learn from this one. Next time if your barrel action is slipping and you can not get it to stop. Put some expoxy on the barrel and the wood block and let it set up over nite then take an dead blow hammer and give it one good wach on the chater bar. I used an cheater bar on the action wrench to give it some more leavage.

Side on the side of safety. Ask your-self if you want your kids or wife/girlfriend to use it. If not, do not use it.

spec.4 wink.gif

Was the receiver drilled and tapped before the barrel was removed?

Did you remove the mounts and screws before unscrewing the barrel?

Did you remove the bolt before unscrewing the barrel?

I have seen all of these things make a barrel tough to get off. I know of a gunsmith who sheared the end off an extractor using a 4' cheater on an action wrench before he realized that the bolt was still in the action.

Clemson

If what spec4 says is true then I'd strip it for parts and move on. Better to have absolute confidence in your weapon than to forever forth question it's integrity.

Also, like clemson said, especially on these Yugos with the safety breech, make sure the bolt is removed before attempting to remove the barrel. The extractor will get caught in the slot and will break off possibly scarring the action.

make sure the bolt is removed before attempting to remove the barrel

I did that, once (never get in a hurry)!

Learning ain't cheap. I try to keep my learning trophys on display in the shop. They're excellent reminders. Sounds like you've produced an excellent trophy. Congratulations (you've got to smile about these things [otherwise you're in for constant misery]) biggrin.gif !

I don't think it looks that bad. I would put on one of the short 7mm mauser barrels and do a stress test.

Use it for a cast bullet gun. What about a 338-08 cast bullet load?

What about a 45-08????

I don't think it looks that bad. I would put on one of the short 7mm mauser barrels and do a stress test.

Use it for a cast bullet gun. What about a 338-08 cast bullet load?

What about a 45-08????

5136[/snapback]

I'm glad you're not building my gun.

After viewing it on my wife's computer I'd say this action is toast. The inner ring appears to have been cutaway and there appear to be some pretty big divots in places. Certainly not good for accuarcy not to mention safety. I'd just buy another.

In my humble opinion,

The reciever is probably safe enough for a low pressure chambering, like a 45 ACP, but I wouldn't trust it for anything hotter.

That being said, get yourself a new reciever and start over. The cost of another reciever is a cheap lesson, hurting yourself because your rifle wasn't safe is expensive.

Jimro

Yeah it is pretty bad, I don't want to have to worry about it,I guess its my first "Trophy" I like Doble Troubles way of looking at it. And I would'nt want my fiance to have a bad experience because of me not being responsible, it took six months when we first met to get her to go to the range and fire a gun (liberal parents). Thanks for all the advice I'm getting another one this weekend (the convincing won't be hard this kept me out of her hair for a few weekends) so I'll probably Be asking for more advice, NOW THIS IS A MISSION.

By the way she actually loves my old Ruger mk1, her NRA membership is next.

Yeah it is pretty bad, I don't want to have to worry about it,I guess its my first "Trophy"  I like Doble Troubles way of looking at it. And I would'nt want my fiance to have a bad experience because of me not being responsible, it took six months when we first met to get her to go to the range and fire a gun (liberal parents). Thanks for all the advice I'm getting another one this weekend (the convincing won't be hard this kept me out of her hair for a few weekends) so I'll probably Be asking for more advice, NOW THIS IS A MISSION.

By the way she actually loves my old Ruger mk1, her NRA membership is next.

5148[/snapback]

From what I can see in the pictures, I'd say it's toast. However-you now have an excellent practice piece. Want to build yourself a double square bridge? Weld away, see how it looks. Want to try building a kurtz action? Cut/weld away. A junk action can be a handy thing to have around to try different things out before you do the "real" one....