Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Introduced A New Hunter/shooter

Brenden

Good evening all. I just had to boast a little about my new shooting/hunting buddy. My girl-friend, Kara, had shown some interst a while back in shooting and hunting. I told her anytime she wanted to go, just say the word as I didn't want to push her into this. This past week, she said she wanted to learn how to shoot in hopes of harvesting a deer this season. Saturday, a very cold and miserable morning, I took her over to her farm and proceeded to show her how a gun works and all safety aspects as well as do's and don'ts. I elected to start her out on the Stevens .223 I bought last year, as this gun with sierria 63 grain semi points is very capiable of taking a deer at ranges farther than she will be shooting. With her being a tad on the short side (5'2") the gun was a bit long and awakard for her to use. We sat down and tired diffrent ways of holding and resting untill she found a way that suited her.

At 50 yards, she sat down on the ground and rested off a chair and proceeded to put 3 shots into about 3/4 of an inch. I asked her if she wanted to shoot a few more at 50 then move back to 100. Her response to this was "100 yards is not a problem, lets move back and see how well i can show you up." At 100 yards, she put 8 shots into about 2 inches. I have this to say , I know many men that can't shoot that good. The rest she had wasn't the most stable item in the world,as well as it being 24 degrees out, but she did very well. I was told to also bring more ammo next time so she could get more shooting time in. Needless to say, I don't own a .223 anymore, she has laid claim to it. She is very excited to be able to deer hunt this year, and she honestly enjoyed shooting her first high powered rifle. I really want her to try my .243, and if she likes it and the jump of the gun isn't too bad, I'll have her use it just in case she makes a marginal hit on a deer (dont think she will though). For her birthday, she said she wanted camo and blaze orange to wear while hunting, and I got her just that.She is ready to go.

If she continues to show intrest in hunting, I have a very nice Mexican 1910 action that will most likely see a 20-22 inch .257 bob pipe on it as well as a nicely grained wood stock with a 12.5 - 13 inch L.O.P. Toped off with a 2x7 weaver, I feel this will make her a dandy rifle and I can get my beloved .223 back! :lol: I think the .257 she could handle, depending on what she thinks of the .243. Nothing else, the .243 has harvested many deer for me as it will for her. I hope to have some pictures as soon as season comes in.

Brenden