Military Firearm Restoration Corner

357 Carcano Claims It First Deer.

8uck5nort

It finally managed to bring one down this morning. Shot in the neck at about 20 yards. A small, but tender and tastey doe.

I connected Sunday morning, but was unable to recover that doe. It looked like a good shot. Saw the impact through scope at 50 yards. The doe ran, then stopped to look back and then trotted off. I trailed it, but very little bood and lost sign after 150 yards or so. Spent three hours looking.

My youngest still is gunning for his buck so we will probably be out next weekend. He still wants to use the 357 so hope to get a pic or two up for review.

was this the 357 max or mag? cool, anyway...

357 mag.

I think it is a tad too light/small for deer. The doe I lost on Sunday was a solid center body mass shot. I typically would have had no problems with a shotgun or 50 cal muzzleloader recovering a deer with that shot.

I decided to go for a head shot the second time to ensure a clean miss or a down deer. I hate leaving a wounded animal.

My son still wants to try it on a buck. I am going to try and coach him for a bow style shot in the heart and/or lungs. I think that is the only way you can actually have an easy recovery with a 357 mag on deer... My opinion based on observations anyway.

My next years deer gun is going to be a 357 max and should pack more of a wallop.

It is the same rifle I finished up in September.

http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=8264

Just a note. It has now been out in rain and sleet and the finish has held up really well both wood and metal. I am happy with the minwax and duracoat products.

Just curious what kind of bullet you used? A standard 357 slug might be a bit explosive and not get the penetration needed to put a deer down quickly.

The 357 version of this mold, cast hard would be ideal for deer. Just have to make sure you keep it out of tubular mags. I have some 357's buried somewhere if you would like to try a few. The only picture I have in my files is the 44 cal.

These molds are no longer made or sold. According to internet chat, pressure from the govt and the slugs ability to penetrate Kevlar caused Lyman to drop all their spire point molds.

AA-spire-A.gif

The slug's tip in my picture is flattened out from seating it. I had to have Lee make custom seaters to keep the points sharp.

I am using the Hornady 140 gr leverrevolution bullets. Basically a hollow point with a polymer tip in the hollowed end. It was supposed to aid in expansion, but from the way the deer reacted to the shot I think I put it clean through her without any expansion. Not enough velocity? I will never know.

I am open to trying out anything that will put a deer down quickly. The lead shou expand well and penetrate.