Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My guns

FC

Those are really nice! What did you do to get such nice finishes?

5063[/snapback]

Thanks FC!

Actually I have done nothing to my guns, everything is as I bought it.

I have no technical abilities whatsoever, but I know how to buy stuff that I like. cool.gif

I'll add to that album as I feel inclined, so check in from time to time if that suits you.

I've always liked your Persian Mauser, BTW and would love to be able to buy a Glock 26 up here (or is that a G27?).

Karl, we need a picyure of you and the Hippy.

CG, I sold the G22 to a guy I work with. I still have the G33, which is .357 Sig. I carry a .22 Mag. North American Arms mini-revolver the most. I don't do much with the Persian. Since no one wanted to rescue it from the hacksaw at Bill's, maybe I should sporterize it! (Gasp!)

Nice guns fellas!  I was really surprised to see all those handguns from the land up north.  Does age have something to do with acceptability? 

5415[/snapback]

My age or that of the guns?! laugh.gif

Well, you cannot own a gun until age 18 and you must go through a course and pay for a license. Apart from that we have our share of guns the gov't deems too dangerous for us to possess, but we can own almost everything you can own and some you fellas (and gals) can't. One example is AR15's with barrels shorter than 16" ... they aren't LE only in Canada.

Our magazine limits suck ass though ... 10 rounds for pistols and 5 rounds for semi auto rifles.

There is no genuine means to obtain a CCW in Canada aside from LEO or occupational/wilderness carry.

• 2 weeks later...

Gothmog,is there no way we could have a handgun with us if we were driving from the states to Alaska?I have been wondering lately if there were any permits for transporting across Alaska.I see all the fishing shows with the dudes salmon fishing wearing 44 mags that came from the states.Maybe they all crossed on the ferry instead of the Alcan Highway.Maybe they shipped their pistols to a licensed dealer?I've heard of border guards finding just an empty shell in a car and having the car stripped because of it,Canada and Mexico.That's probably a good thing though.Jerry

Gothmog,is there no way we could have a handgun with us if we were driving from the states to Alaska?I have been wondering lately if there were any permits for transporting across Alaska.I see all the fishing shows with the dudes salmon fishing wearing 44 mags that came from the states.Maybe they all crossed on the ferry instead of the Alcan Highway.Maybe they shipped their pistols to a licensed dealer?I've heard of border guards finding just an empty shell in a car and having the car stripped because of it,Canada and Mexico.That's probably a good thing though.Jerry

5994[/snapback]

That 'empty shell' seach runs both directions across the border now, I'm afraid. Someone I know in the movie props business told me of some fellows taking souvenir .50 cal fired brass across the border ... only a couple of pieces each, mind you, and with the ends crimped as blank ammo. They were subjected to the 3rd degree by US Customs.

I know that Americans can take a rifle through Canada by applying for a permit and paying a nominal ($25 Cdn) fee, but our government is more strict about handgun importation. There may be a way to do it though, by paying the fee and transporting it according to Canadian rules, although I suspect you would need to engage the services of a licensed carrier to transport it for you.

I'll see what I can find, or you can try yourself at this official government (don't believe the BS) site:

http://www.canadianfirearms.com/

And try here:

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/info_for-renseig...s/default_e.asp

Ok, here are some highlights ... please refer to the original before attempting to import firearms, though.

Classes of Firearms and Devices

There are three classes of firearms in Canada:

Non-restricted (most common rifles and shotguns): These may generally be imported for purposes such as hunting, protection from wild animals in remote wilderness areas where firearms are allowed, or target-shooting. They may also be taken in transit through Canada by a reasonably direct route.

Restricted: These are allowed for certain purposes, such as target shooting at an approved club or range, but they are not allowed for hunting or self-protection.

Prohibited: You cannot bring a prohibited firearm into Canada.

Some firearms are classified as restricted or prohibited under the Criminal Code based on their general characteristics (e.g. barrel length or calibre); other restricted and prohibited firearms are specified by name in Criminal Code Regulations.

Note that AR15's are defined as restricted firearms.

Some large-capacity magazines are prohibited even if the firearms to which the magazines are attached are allowed. As a general rule, the maximum capacity is:

five cartridges for most magazines designed for a centre fire semi-automatic long gun; and

ten cartridges for most handgun magazines.

There is no maximum magazine capacity for other types of long guns, including semi-automatics that discharge only rim-fire ammunition.

Replica firearms, except for replicas of antique firearms, are prohibited and cannot be brought into Canada. Replica firearms are devices that look exactly or almost exactly like a real firearm but that cannot discharge a projectile or that can only discharge harmless projectiles. As a rule, to be prohibited, a device must closely resemble an existing make and model of firearm, not just a generic firearm. Many of these devices have to be assessed case by case.

Devices designed exclusively for signaling purposes (e.g. flare guns), and intended to be used solely for that purpose, are exempt from the requirements set out below.

Some stuff which is ok in the US is VERBOTEN here ... be careful. If you think our rules are dumb, you're probably right. Some U.S. rules aren't so hot either! biggrin.gif

As a non-resident, you have two options for meeting the Canadian licensing and registration requirements

Option 1

You can declare your firearms in writing, in triplicate, using the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration (form CAFC 909).

If you are bringing more than three firearms, attach a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Continuation Sheet (form CAFC 910).

Please fill out the declaration form ahead of time to save time at the point of entry. However, wait until you arrive at the point of entry to sign the form because a customs officer must witness your signature.

Once the customs officer has confirmed your declaration, it will have the same effect as a licence for you and a temporary registration certificate for all the firearms you bring to Canada. It is valid for 60 days. You can renew your declaration at no additional fee, if you renew it before it expires, by contacting the CFO of the province or territory where you are staying. To renew it, call 1 800 731-4000.

A confirmed declaration costs a flat fee of $25, regardless of the number of firearms listed on it. It is only valid for the person who signs it and for those firearms listed on the declaration. If you come with others who will be using firearms in Canada, you will each need to meet these requirements.

Filling out the forms option ...

Option 2

You can apply for a five-year Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) and register your firearms in Canada. You must wait until you get your PAL before you register your firearms.

If you apply for a PAL, you must provide evidence that you have passed the written and practical tests for the Canadian Firearms Safety Course. If you wish to be licensed for restricted firearms, you must also have passed the tests for Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course. A course from your own country would not meet the requirements of Canadian law. You can take the tests without taking the courses.

Contact the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of the province where you will most likely be using the firearm for information on any other documents you need to provide from authorities in your country to assist with the background safety check.

You could also be licensed to own guns in Canada ... a bit of a hassle as a course and a test are involved, and of course, storage of said firearms. Kinda handy though, if you hunt or shoot here regularly or you've always wanted to own a 10" or 14.5" barrelled AR15 or other LE only firearm, 'cause you can do that here.

I am a certified instructor so can help you fellas out with any questions you might have about this option in the event this seems interesting to you.