Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Parkerizing

I now think I will do a whole lot more parking. I parked a sporterized 91/30 and it looks real nice. This is possibly the easiest metal finish that isn't paint! I will try and post pics tomorrow. BTW a Huber trigger is nice on these things. This riffle will shoot moa for about 225$. I didn't have to buy the park tank and my wife warped a grill real bad so I didn't have to buy burners either.

Please do send some pictures,it's something I've been thinking about trying.Reckon it's as tough as what the Garands and M1 carbines had on them?Glad you had good luck! Jerry

The color matching of M1 and Carbines is not easy. I used a manganeese phosphate from brownell's. This came out a very nice dark grey to black color. I am having camera to computer problems right now.

The M1 "green" color if suposed to be a zinc phosphate color"grey" that has ageed to be green. Might be from cosmoline or dirt.

I do recon that it is as tough as it is the same process. Parking is like an etching into the surface of the steel then a deposit of material onto the etching. The deposit is a crystaline structure that holds grease very well and also stops the spreading of rust. The parking is also a rust inhibitor. I realy liked doing it.

The process was simple. Stainless tank, solution mixed a proper ratio, heat to 140 then ad some steel fillings to activate the solution. Once activated, drop you parts in for 5-15 mins. Leave em in till they stop phissing, looks like alka-seltzer. Rinse and oil. Very easy. Prep for metal is bead or aluminum oxized blasting. Gives a better bite for the chemicals.

Howdy FM,good to hear from you.If you've Parkerized all your guns,you've mixed enough solution to fill a swimming pool.Can you get a real black finish that looks good with matte finish scope mounts,rings and scopes? How about a very o.d.green that would look good with a camo stock,like Corelite has?Jerry

Black park is manganeese parking. You can also park black by per-dipping in a solution that is ment to produce a black park and then park with a zinc solution. O.D. green is a tough one to do. Some say that they can get OD by a post rinse/dip in the green version of desiel feul. I have never done the deseil feul method.