Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cz82

8uck5nort

Acquired a CZ82 a while back from CAI. I am currently in the process of disassembling to prakerize and duracoat. I am going to upgrade the recoil spring, and firing pin spring through Wolff and add some new grips for a self defense firearm.

Question I have is there appears to be absolutely no rifling in the barrel. Looks as smooth as shotgun barrel. I have cleaned it til I am blue in the face, but see no rilfing what so ever. Initially thinking I got jipped I almost returned it. However, I started reading through some forums, etc... and everyone is saying that this is normal for polygonal rifling. Is this a load of BS or is this normal and I should not be concerned? I can pick up a new East German made barrel for 40 bucks , but I also understand it needs a special vice to replace the barrels which I found for around another 40 bucks. Anyway I have no idea as this is really my first foray into owning/refinishing/cusotmizing a pistol.

Thanks in advance for your repsonses.

Darin

Looking down the barrel in good light, is there a slight spiral pattern?

Glocks use polygonal rifling. My Glock 9MM barrel cleans very quickly and I have no major complaints about its performance. I've heard nothing but positive reports

Caveat, and you should have encountered this in your research as well: while polygonal is outstanding with jacketed bullets, it's not to be used with cast bullets. My understanding is that the polygonal rifling somehow retains lead at a faster rate than a more conventional land-and-grove system; pressures will build quickly and present a danger to both the weapon and shooter.

I bought an aftermarket, land-and-groove barrel for my Glock for use with cast bullets. If I only used jacketed bullets, it would have been an unnecessary expense.

I really cant't see any spiral pattern, but maybe I am not looking at it the right way. I will try and get a light down the barrel and take a better look tonight.

Actually I did run across the "don't use lead bullets in a polygonal barrel" a couple of times. I figured I would stay with jacketed myself. I do plan to reload for this caliber, but use Speer or Hornady bullets. I saw some of the cheaper hard cast lead bullets, but was not considering that due to what I read.

Has anyone ever changed a barrel out on one of these? It is not the most friendly weapon to detail strip as I am finding out so If I need a new barrel now is the time to do it by my reckoning.

Darin

I've put lead bullets down my CZ-82 without any problems. From what I've read the lead builds up in the barrel but I have yet to see it in mine.

I've been trimming down 9MM Luger brass, using a Lee 9MM Makarov mold and sizing to .363. Using 380 loading data I've run plenty through it without a single hick-up.

There is so much low cost 9MM Mak ammo out there I would recommend against reloading for it. I had time on my hands and took it on as a challenge after finding a 9MM Mak trim die for 3 bux.

Darin, I recommend shooting it before you change barrels. I went through the same thing you did. I got mine from SOG and was going to send it back. After I called and talked to them, they convinced me that this was normal.

Anyway, after a range trip, I decided to keep it. It was fairly accurate (and I'm not a great pistol shot). After you shoot it, look down the bore. You will be able to see rotational lines left by the bullets. It actually does spin the bullet.

I think it's a great little pistol. I keep mine loaded for home defense.

Roger