Military Firearm Restoration Corner

O.k. 1St Build Is Finaly Done.

rdm1962

This is my first build. I only started it about a year and a half agoe.

A short recap of what has happen thus far. About 2 years agoe I picked up a 1945 K Kales with a shot out barrel. I found this forum and desided to try my hand at sporterizing it. I have always wanted a 35 Whelen and now I have one.

I did some of the work myself. I removed the stripper clip hump and hand gaurd retaining ring with hand files and Dremal. I had Clemson weld up the bolt handel and D&T it. He also ordered the barrel (Adam & Bennet) fitted and finshed chambered it for me. The trigger is a Bold optma. The finish is Brownells Alumahyde II.

The stock is from Richards summer clearance sale. The price was too good to pass up. I am not realy happy with the gap around the trigger gaurd. I looked at my A-bolt 30-06 and 1966 vintage Rem 700 in 25-06. They seamed to have a bit of a gap also. I was conserned that the trigger gaurd would be locked in the stock so I left the gap. I did thin it to the dementions of my A-bolt.

I made a big mistake with the first trigger gaurd by thinning it too much. Another leson I learned was it would be better to do all the bedding work before the metal finish. Anyway it's final done and ready for the range.

Ralph

P.S. I will do a post on the next two builds.

post-3785-129721673161_thumb.jpg

post-3785-129721686166_thumb.jpg

post-3785-129721689986_thumb.jpg

post-3785-129721692087_thumb.jpg

post-3785-129721697643_thumb.jpg

post-3785-129721700819_thumb.jpg

post-3785-129721702513_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys. I will get her to the range on Saturday. I bought a set of new old stock RCBS dies on e-bay for $20 shipped. I got some bullets off gunbroker. The brass will be onced fired 3006. I'll post a range report on Saturday.

My next builds are going to be a 280 rem and 7x57. The other Turk receiver I have will be the 280. I am planning on it being a montain/ feather weight style. I am also going to build a 7x57 for my brother. He got a 1895 Chilan that was bubbafied. It has been t&d but the bolt handel was crudely bent. I took it to the range and shot it. It is ugly but the bolt isn't warped.

Ralph

post-3785-12973014538_thumb.jpg

post-3785-129730148269_thumb.jpg

Nice job.I really like the timber colored laminates especially with the rosewood tip and cap. I almost went with 35 Whelen for my first but I chose the 338-06 instead. How hard was doing the charger hump and front ring by hand? I've got a turk that's bound to be my next one. I think I'm gonna do a 7x57.

Nice job.I really like the timber colored laminates especially with the rosewood tip and cap. I almost went with 35 Whelen for my first but I chose the 338-06 instead. How hard was doing the charger hump and front ring by hand? I've got a turk that's bound to be my next one. I think I'm gonna do a 7x57.

The stripper clip hump was around 2 hours. The hand gaurd ring was about the same. I did the bulk of with the dremal and finetuned it by files. I did a lot of checking with a digital caliper. I had Bill (Clemson) dubble check my work when I sent it in for D&T and bolt handel. The stock had been on Richards close out page for a long time. It came with the recoil pad and sling swivels. It had a military chanel so it had to be opened up.

Bill, I'll be sending you the 1895 for a new bolt handel soon.

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the range report. I loaded 20 rounds useing necked up 3006 brass. These rounds were breaking in the barrel and fire forming the cases. The load is Hornady 250 grain sp/rp #3520, 52.0 grains of IMR 4320 with CCI #250 mag primer. Overall I think this gun will shoot better than I could ever get out of it.

post-3785-129824152216_thumb.jpg

A gap is fairly common, especially when the stock is made for a commercial magazine/Trigger Guard rather than military mag. The commercial mag being slightly longer. However, if the stock is for a military magazine/TG then there is a gap in front of the front screw because the military unit is made for the locking screw,which the commercial unit doesn't have.

What you can do to fill the gap is take some AcraGlas gel, dye it black and use it to fill the gaps. It will blend in a bit better with the stock that way. You will have to sand down any excess that comes out, but once done it will look a bit better.