Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The Next Build Begins.

rdm1962

I am going to order the stocks for my next 2 builds today. I am going to build a 7x57 on a 1895 Chilean sporter. The 280 Rem is going to be on a K.Kales turk Mauser action. The question I have is, can plane old "fiberglass resin" and cream hardener be used for bedding? Is this the same resin? I wonder if the sawdust could be mixed into to match the color of the stock? I have a quart can that would be cheaper to use than buy more from Brownells?

Ralph

can plane old "fiberglass resin" and cream hardener be used for bedding?

I wonder if the sawdust could be mixed into to match the color of the stock?

Ralph

My rule of thumb on creative bedding materials is that just about anything that sets up to be harder than walnut would be OK. Mix up a batch on a piece of scrap walnut and try something like pushing a screwdriver into both. If you leave less of an impression in the fiberglass than the walnut, you're probably good to go. If the screwdriver goes deeper in the fiberglass then you'd better re-think the deal.

If you pre-stain the wood it might be OK. As suggested above, mix up a test batch and see how it looks.

For sure the wood will NOT stain up the same once it has been mixed with anything like fiberglass or epoxy.

Tinker

I have used fiberglass resin for bedding but I did the area around the recoil lug with Acraglas gel first.

If you need to fill large areas such as a sloppy barrel channel it works very well and is inexpensive to use.

The last build I did, I used 20 Min. hobby epoxy. Bigger bottles at a cheaper price. But, it is very runny, so I used saw dust and shavings from the stock. Which really helped. However, the epoxy darkens the wood, so that it does not match the colors of the rest of the stock. I can't really see any difference between it and the old AcraGlas(not the Gel) that I used to use.