Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Nice Day In The Mountains

ken98k

I had to use or lose some vacation time so I figured I'd take a couple days and go hunting.

As I approached the area I was going to hunt I spotted a large group of caribou a few hundred yards above me on the mountain. I pulled to the side of the road and parked below and out of sight of the caribou.

After some quick preparations, I started my stalk.

It was easy walking on the treeless tundra because the snow was windblown and heavily crusted. After climbing a short two hundred yards, I spotted about one hundred caribou cows, that were another three hundred yards off. Making use of the rolling terrain, I was able to sneak to within 200 yards and made one good lung shot.

The animal jumped at the shot and the rest of the heard took off at a run. The mortally wounded caribou staggered about 25 yards and dropped dead.

After checking the downed animal to be sure it was in fact dead, and punching my tag, I headed back to my truck to get my snowmachine and sleigh.

After rolling the caribou into the sleigh, I noticed the rest of the heard had returned to within a couple hundred yards to watch. Naturally, all this time my camera was in the truck!

The whole thing took less than an hour from the time I pulled over until I had the snow machine and caribou loaded back on the trailer.

I stopped at the top off the pass and finally took some photos. The rest of the caribou had returned to where I had first spotted them as if nothing had happened.

post-200-130104498684_thumb.jpgpost-200-13010450488_thumb.jpg

post-200-130104509097_thumb.jpg

Awsome story!

Thanks for sharing. I am going through hunters withdrawl right now with 6 months to go before deer season opens again. So this is exactly what I needed. What was the rifle and caliber you used?

You are fortunate. It would be a trip and a hunt of lifetime for me to hunt a caribou in Alaska.

Awsome story!

Thanks for sharing. I am going through hunters withdrawl right now with 6 months to go before deer season opens again. So this is exactly what I needed. What was the rifle and caliber you used?

You are fortunate. It would be a trip and a hunt of lifetime for me to hunt a caribou in Alaska.

The rifle is a 6.5x55 http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=7535

There are many many reason why I frequently would like to live somewhere else.

This was a beautiful day in the upper 30s, and everything just fell into place. It doesn't always work out so nice.

I put up with an awful lot to spend these few days a year in the the mountains.

I had to use or lose some vacation time so I figured I'd take a couple days and go hunting.

As I approached the area I was going to hunt I spotted a large group of caribou a few hundred yards above me on the mountain. I pulled to the side of the road and parked below and out of sight of the caribou.

After some quick preparations, I started my stalk.

It was easy walking on the treeless tundra because the snow was windblown and heavily crusted. After climbing a short two hundred yards, I spotted about one hundred caribou cows, that were another three hundred yards off. Making use of the rolling terrain, I was able to sneak to within 200 yards and made one good lung shot.

The animal jumped at the shot and the rest of the heard took off at a run. The mortally wounded caribou staggered about 25 yards and dropped dead.

After checking the downed animal to be sure it was in fact dead, and punching my tag, I headed back to my truck to get my snowmachine and sleigh.

After rolling the caribou into the sleigh, I noticed the rest of the heard had returned to within a couple hundred yards to watch. Naturally, all this time my camera was in the truck!

The whole thing took less than an hour from the time I pulled over until I had the snow machine and caribou loaded back on the trailer.

I stopped at the top off the pass and finally took some photos. The rest of the caribou had returned to where I had first spotted them as if nothing had happened.

post-200-130104498684_thumb.jpgpost-200-13010450488_thumb.jpg

post-200-130104509097_thumb.jpg

Livin' the dream!

Hope I connect with a Unit 13 caribou this fall AND a moose. Is that a registration hunt. or a draw?

Livin' the dream!

Hope I connect with a Unit 13 caribou this fall AND a moose. Is that a registration hunt. or a draw?

It's a registration hunt.

The rifle is a 6.5x55 http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=7535

There are many many reason why I frequently would like to live somewhere else.

This was a beautiful day in the upper 30s, and everything just fell into place. It doesn't always work out so nice.

I put up with an awful lot to spend these few days a year in the the mountains.

I went back and looked at the link for your Swede Ken. What an elegant, yet no-nonsense rifle.

I went back and looked at the link for your Swede Ken. What an elegant, yet no-nonsense rifle.

Thanks, except for the lack of checkering, I'm very happy with it.

Kenny, that was a nice story. I'm glad you had an eventful hunt. Thanks for sharing those pictures. I would like to go to Ak one day; beautiful looking place.

I can't believe you took down a caribou with a 6.5x55, not even is a .375 supper ultra-laser mag capable of that feat! :rolleyes:

In my mind after building one and shooting it, a 6.5x55 is the absolute best round ever developed and capable of darn near anything, but I am sure you already know this. Well done Sir.

Brenden