Military Firearm Restoration Corner

To Renew Or Not?

ken98k

It’s time to renew my C&R license but I really can’t think of a good reason to do so.

The days of good deals and $60 Mauser 98’s are long gone and I really can’t think of anything I can buy with the license that I want or can afford.

I don’t know if I should keep the license just because?

I kept mine up. I still like to wheel and deal a little here and there and its handy to have the C&R so you can get that M1917 you just won off Gunbroker shipped to your house and not have to go through the hassle of finding somebody still willing to do a transfer. Its not like having a C&R is a huge ordeal to begin with - or at least mine hasn't been so far.

I have saved my 30.00 dollars a couple of times over in just the ffl trnasfer fees. Plus if your traveling and you happen to visit a pawn shop in another state you can purchase an C&R gun very easily. More advantages in having it than not in my opinion.

Darin

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't had the license since the cheap days. Unless you buy much I don't think it's worth the trouble.

FYI within 2 weeks of letting my c+r expire, midway cancelled my discount. I buy very few guns these days but the discounts from suppliers is worth the renewal.

Don

Midway has already sent me notice to forward them a copy of the new license or else.

Kind of pisses me off because I've been doing business with then for for very close to 20 years.

However I marked the box for "not renewing" on my federal application and sent it in.

As soon as the current license officially expires I will burn my bound book.

I chose not to renew my C&R last February for several reasons, but mainly for the lack of good cheap Mausers anymore. Over the years, I've accumulated actions and barrels and other parts, to the point that I'm probably set for quite a while. I'll let the new generations of shooters and amateur gunsmiths have a crack at a great hobby.

I learned a lot at this site, and although I don't visit here too often, it's still like coming home.

Spiris

I chose not to renew my C&R last February for several reasons, but mainly for the lack of good cheap Mausers anymore. Over the years, I've accumulated actions and barrels and other parts, to the point that I'm probably set for quite a while.

Spiris

At the rate I'm going, I have enough to keep me busy for the next 50 years or so. :rolleyes:

Midway has already sent me notice to forward them a copy of the new license or else.

Kind of pisses me off because I've been doing business with then for for very close to 20 years.

However I marked the box for "not renewing" on my federal application and sent it in.

As soon as the current license officially expires I will burn my bound book.

Good thing is Brownells shouldn't cancel your discount. I friend of mine shut down his gun shop and turned his records into the feds over 10 years ago and he still gets dealer pricing.

Don