Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Jap Arisaka

Horsefly

I just went to Gunbroker and Ebay and they have lots of Jap. parts and rifles.The t-38's sure seem to be finished out better than the T-99's.I saw a 38 once that was sportered with a Bishop stock,the safety knob was turned down a little,and the barrel was maybe 22''.It was one fine looking light weight gun,and the guy that sporterized it let it show how proud he was of it in his price.There are lots of rifles at gunbroker that are priced way below Mausers,and ebay had about 60 hits for parts.Nothing will ever take the place of a Mauser,but I'm thinking about starting to like the Japs a little.A sportered T-38 looks a heck of a lot nicer than one of those Russian things,and from what I've been reading,a bunch stronger too.Jerry.

Jerry,

Go for it! Look around the shops up your way. I have seen several down here in East Texas so I'm sure if you looked around the D/FW area you could find as many as you wanted without paying for shipping and transfer fees. Every gunsmith I've ever had Mauser business with recommended Arisakas as being virtually indestructable! Go for it!

Jason

I'm glad to see someone besides me appreciated Japanese sporters. They are very neat with no excess baggage. If you want to put a scope on one the safety needs no alterations, just the bolt handle. riceone.