Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Quiet

ken98k

I sure has been quiet around here lately. I guess I'm gonna have to build another rifle to liven thigs up :)

I thought so too. I just got 4 VZ24's back from the shop. I had the faces squared to the axiss of the bore. Now, do you think that I need to lap the C-ring also?

I just sold off two of my 6.5 carcano actions. I have two left and am considering selling one more off. I am putting the money towards a new (hate to say it) rifle in .223 for an upcoming prarie dog hunt with my Dad in South Dakota. I just could not justify trying to build one out on a milsurp. I priced a single shot HR varmint rig with Nikon BM scope for under 550.00 delivered. Can't beat that. Another 200 hundred you can get it in a bolt action (Rem, Savage, Weatherby) guaranteed to shoot MOA or better right out of the box.

I just sold off two of my 6.5 carcano actions. I have two left and am considering selling one more off. I am putting the money towards a new (hate to say it) rifle in .223 for an upcoming prarie dog hunt with my Dad in South Dakota. I just could not justify trying to build one out on a milsurp. I priced a single shot HR varmint rig with Nikon BM scope for under 550.00 delivered. Can't beat that. Another 200 hundred you can get it in a bolt action (Rem, Savage, Weatherby) guaranteed to shoot MOA or better right out of the box.

You could always build a .221 Fireball Rimmed using .357 Maximum brass. That .357 case should fit the Carcano bolt face well. You really wouldn't need a magazine; as a varmiter; it would work dandy as a single shot. I'd just fashion a plate to fit the underside if the receiver with a shallow slot for the cartridge.

The .221 Fireball makes fine prairie dog medicine. Hornady 40 grain V-Max bullets work well.

Just sayin'....

i haven't started any new projects or bought any good donor rifles here lately.

good actions for a decent price are getting harder to find. i can find actions for scoped builds all day but a nice action for a open sight builds are getting scarce

I tried to test a rifle for a range report, but had problems. Fixed the problems, now have to test it again. My trunk gun build. Also waiting for a new barrel to get here to start another one. Nice 308 on a Yugo action.

Yes the days of 50.00 to 100.00 dollor 89's are over for good I think. I'm just adding up what I've already spent on my 416 Taylor, and what I have left to buy and I'll have very close to 850.00 in it and I'm doing everything but the safety myself. Got to love sights on a barrel, with Talley QD rings and rear Peep, and banded front it adds up quick. I figure by the time I put a modest scope on it I'll be right at a grand and that's using a cheap laminate simi inlet stock. At this rate it'll be several years down the road before I can afford to restalk it with a nice piece of English, or Turkish walnut like I really want.