Military Firearm Restoration Corner

416Taylor Project Well On It's Way

lemski4

I've been wanting to build a 416 Taylor for many years, and it is now in the works. I found a BRNO VZ 24 action on gun broker and started collecting parts. Here is a picture of what I started with, it was not as bad as the picture looked, and cleaned up well after bead blasting.

BRNOvz24.jpg

Since then I've removed the charger hump, threaded the barrel and fit it to the action. This weekend I will start working on my bolt handle, I all but have it inletted in a stock. I don't have a mill so I had to sub out the side swing safety to Don Markey. More pictures to come this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got time to take some progress pictures. The ebony forend tip is installed and mostly rough shaped, cross bolts installed, and grip cap gluing up ready to be shaped in the morning. Bolt face has been opened up for the magnum case head.

forendtip.jpg

crossbolts.jpg

boltknobextention.jpg

gripcap-1.jpg

.416 is a round that I have thought about adding to my savage barrel collection. I was thinking a .416 Rem Mag, but a Taylor is nice if you need more than one shot in a standard length action. I think you have a nice gun there. You are moving along nicely. Are you going to weld a new bolt handle on or just keep it straight and open sites only? Either way, that is a nice looking gun in a stomper cal.

Brenden

I got up early today and started glass bedding my barreled action here are some pictures. To aid in cleanup I tape off around the barreled action and trigger guard.

MVC-002S.jpg

MVC-001S.jpg

Then I use modeling clay to fill and cover any holes or places I do not want the glass to get into.

MVC-008S-1.jpg

MVC-009S.jpg

Once the majority of the glass bedding material that comes out, has been scraped off you can get rid of the tape and wait till it's time to let cure up nice and hard, usually with acura-glass I let set 5-6 hours and pull metal out.

MVC-012S.jpg

MVC-013S.jpg

Looks great. Please explain how your "action puller" is set up. I love big bores. I had a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. I would load it hot (for 45-70) it was always a head turner at the range. I may have to look for another action for a big bore build.

Ralph

The action puller is simple in theory, it's a piece of schedule 40 pipe that 1/4-1/3 has been milled off of it, a hole drilled in it and a round bar to fit the bolt raceway and a hole drilled and taped in it, a piece of all thread and a nut and washer. Put the round bar in the bolt way and the all thread in through the hole in the pipe slide the washer over the all thread and screw the nut down and turn till the action comes out. It's a lot easier than beating your barrels on the bench to try to break them loose. Now for the exact measurements I'd have to go out and measure it to be exact.

On another note, I did chamber it this morning and go out and test fire it. It was nothing like I was expecting at all, recoil was more like a big push, like a 10 gauge shotgun. Granted I have the best pad money can buy on it and is 1 3/8" thick.

Looks great. Please explain how your "action puller" is set up. I love big bores. I had a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. I would load it hot (for 45-70) it was always a head turner at the range. I may have to look for another action for a big bore build.

Ralph

Ralph, here is a picture of my action puller. It's made a little different that lemski's, but the same basic design.

Roger

MVC-puller.jpg

MVC-puller1.jpg

Not much free time to take pictures the last week, but I did get the bolt knob extension welded on and forged over cleaned up and polished. polished barreled action and fit the barrel band sling swivel. Sanded the stock and put finish on it, may have a few more cotes to put on yet. Inleted bolt handle into stock, I did get my two position safety back from Don Markey and what a nice piece it is. Now all I need is a pair of Talley Q.R rings and a scope that will hold up to the .416 Taylor and I can go hunting. Sights will have to wait as money is tight right now.

MVC-002S-1.jpg

MVC-005S.jpg

MVC-007S-1.jpg

MVC-004S.jpg

MVC-001S-2.jpg

Hopefully this weekend I can Belgium blue it.

• 2 weeks later...

Lemski, your rifle is really looking good and I can see your good eye for detail.

Will be looking forward to hearing the shooting results, although you indicated the recoil wasn't too bad.

I hate to sound like the new kid here, but, can you tell me a bit about Belgium blueing? I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks,

Brad

Here is a ling to the product I use

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7604/product/BELGIAN_BLUE

It is simple, heat water in a stainless tank or pot depending on the size of what you are working on. let parts set in boiling water to get hot pull out and wipe on Belgian blue and put back in boiling water for 5-10 minutes. Take parts out they should look chalkey and card off with a carding wheel or fine steal wool, and back in the boiling water, and start the process over as many times as needed to get the color wanted. It's a very simple process to do it just takes time and man are the parts hot, you'll need a good thick pair of rubber gloves. It's kinda fun to do except the day I did mine it was 111 degrees outside, and with the boiling water in the garage it was almost unbearable with all the humidity. Do a search on the process, there are a few more details like decreasing everything, parts steal wool, and carding wheel, pluging barrels on both ends, and soacking in oil after you are done.

Yes it has been shot, but that is about it since I ran out of funds and couldn't put sights on it yet. My scope is on it's way, and once it gets here I'll see what size rings I need and then I can sight in and work up a load for it. Recoil is nothing like I was expecting, a big push about like a 10 gauge shotgun, man I love that 1 3/8" Kickeez pad. Once scope is mounted, I may have to add some weight to the butt to get it to balance correctly, big bore barrels are usually fat and heavy. The barrel I used for this rifle was a Midway house brand/A&B barrel. I'm chomping at the bit to get it sighted in and see how it shoots, and take it hunting this year. I'll keep you posted.

• 4 weeks later...

I ran across a deal on an old Redfield 3-9 Tracker scope and mounted it in Talley Q.D. rings and loaded some ammo and finally got around to going to the range today. It was in the mid 60's very little wind and all went pretty well as far as I can tell. I was wondering how the A&B barrel would shoot and I'm pleased, under an inch @ 100 yards off a bench. Recoil wasn't very bad off the bench either.

MVC-009S-1.jpg