Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Yugo 24/47

Rojelio

I got this barreled action from AIM a couple of years ago. It's in mint condition and I've been saving it for a sporter project. So far I've got the stock shaped and fitted. Glass bedded the barreled action. Fitted a decelerator pad and a Brownell's steel grip cap. Welded on a Talley bolt handle and drilled and tapped for Leupold 2pc. bases. I haven't decided what I want to do for a safety, yet. I got the stock from GAG. It's myrtle and started out as an oberndorf classic. Still have to finish sanding and apply finish on the stock.

Roger

image012412.jpg

I like the classic lines--bolt handle looks "just right"--Now for a G&H side mount with a new Leupold manu. Alaskan--best of old & new.

nice build so far.

are you going to leave the rear sight as is? one of the things i've considered doing is cutting the rear sight off the sleeve then turning the sleeve upside down on the barrel to smooth out the profile of the rifle without leaving gaps in a already inletted stock.

nice build so far.

are you going to leave the rear sight as is? one of the things i've considered doing is cutting the rear sight off the sleeve then turning the sleeve upside down on the barrel to smooth out the profile of the rifle without leaving gaps in a already inletted stock.

Yes, that was the problem I was having. the stock was already inletted for the military barrel profile and also the bluing was still in mint condition. I hated to take the rear sight off and have to deal with rebluing.

My yugotine sporter still has the military sight and after the scope is mounted, it doesn't stand out so much.

I think I'll leave it alone for now,and, if I decide I can't live with it, I'll change it later.

Roger

Yes, that was the problem I was having. the stock was already inletted for the military barrel profile and also the bluing was still in mint condition. I hated to take the rear sight off and have to deal with rebluing.

My yugotine sporter still has the military sight and after the scope is mounted, it doesn't stand out so much.

I think I'll leave it alone for now,and, if I decide I can't live with it, I'll change it later.

Roger

Sometimes things are just better left alone!

I do recall the yugotine was a good looking rifle.

Just curious. Have you shot it since removing it from the issue stock? Assuming you free floated the barrel just curious if you saw much of an improvement it its accuracy. The stock looks pretty good, have you used water to see the grain?

No, haven't shot it at all. It came as a barreled action. I have wetted small areas and the stock does have some grain and slight fiddle if you look at it at the right angle. It's not going to be a show stopper for sure. I'm debating on whether or not to stain it a little darker before applying finish. I'll experiment with some of the pieces I cut off and see what works best.

Roger

Roger

I would leave the sight alone also. I scoped mine and had to use high rings. People at the range comment all the time about how nice looking the rifle is. You might want to darken the stock to show off the graing you mentioned.

Bob

You might want to darken the stock to show off the graing you mentioned.

Bob

I was thinking along the same lines. Color is always a matter of personal preference but I bet it would look real good with the old Winchester stain with the slight reddish tint. Pretty sure it is available via Brownell's.

• 2 weeks later...

Made some more progress. It came in at 8.5 lbs. as it is in the pictures. Still haven't decided on which safety I'm going to go with. Other than that, all I have left is to polish and blue the grip cap and I want to polish the bolt up a little more.

I tried 6 different stains that I had on hand on the scrap pieces and colonial maple is what I ended up using. It brought the figure out more that any of the rest of them. After it dried a couple of days, I applied a tru-oil finish. I think I stopped at 6 coats using 0000 steel wool in between coats.

Anyway, here's the pics:

image013912.jpg

image013812.jpg

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to start load testing. It liked the 150 gr Hornady the best with several groups coming in under an in. Second best groups were with the 175 gr. Sierra with several groups just over an in. It didn't care for the 180 gr Nosler BT or the 170 gr Speer hot core. I'll have to get some blood on it this upcoming hunting season.

Roger

MVC-036S.jpg

• 2 months later...

Talking about Hog Heaven...

Great shooting and looking rifle! And you sent ole pork chop to heaven or where ever pigs go... dry.gif

Looking real good to me!

Great Job on all accounts.

Darin

Oh no! You killed old Macdonalds pig! :unsure:

Yeah, that's one ugly colored pig. I would call it turd muckeldy dunn. :D . Around here we have them from solid white to solid black and every combination in between. They all do the same amount of damage and multiply like rats.

Here's a boar my son shot a few years ago.

imag008812.jpg

Do you eat these pigs?

I heard some say that they're not edible some reason.

Yep, we eat them if they're not too old and rank. A boar over about 125 lbs is starting to get to where I won't mess with it. The best eating is a fat female (gilt) under about 100 lbs. My favorite is BBQ ribs and a cold beer. UMM. Now I'm gonna have to fire up the pit this weekend. :D