Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Number 2 Dog Killed

FC

I killed the dog that killed 8 of my chickens Sunday. It was a horrible thing to hear it howl. Looked like a pit bull/lab mix, mostly grown. Barbara and I were out with the chickens and we heard them squawking. I saw the dog, told her to watch it, and I ran for the .357 SIG. The dog, outside of the coop, was chasing the chickens that were in the run. I blasted him full of lead. I really felt horrible, but my chickens depend on me, and I stopped the threat. No collar. People that own dogs can be truly irresponsible.

I killed the dog that killed 8 of my chickens Sunday. It was a horrible thing to hear it howl. Looked like a pit bull/lab mix, mostly grown. Barbara and I were out with the chickens and we heard them squawking. I saw the dog, told her to watch it, and I ran for the .357 SIG. The dog, outside of the coop, was chasing the chickens that were in the run. I blasted him full of lead. I really felt horrible, but my chickens depend on me, and I stopped the threat. No collar. People that own dogs can be truly irresponsible.

I know how you feel, FC. I have had to kill 'marauding' dogs before. I had a marauder kill one of my favorite goats once, and another get a bunch of my ducks.

Loose dog - no collar - dead dog. ESPECIALLY one that has pit-bull in it.

Paul

I live out in the country (Ozarks) and my dogs run loose. My neighbors are great people and they know there would be no hard feelings if they shot one of my dogs for chasing livestock. Pets are pets but livestock are a person's livelihood. No problems for 20 years now. Only got 1 call from a neighbor, saying he had to kill one of my dogs but they were all at home at the time. They can, and SHOULD be trained to behave.

Jim

I have had dogs all of my life, and dogs "get loose". It happens. And I DON'T want my dog shot just because he got off his lead or out of his kennel. However, my dogs ALWAYS have a collar on. Always. And I won't shoot a dog with a collar if there is ANY way to capture it, even if it is chasing my livestock. That said, if a dog is on my property and it growls at me, it's going to die.

All of the above applies to every dog except pit-bulls and pit-bull mixes in which I can 'see' the pit-bull. I'm not gonna argue about it. I've seen a hundred times what breeding/genetics can do. Dogs bred to hunt, hunt; it's uncanny what genetics/breeding can do. Dogs bred to run, run. And dogs bred to fight, fight. I've been around pit-bulls and I've seen how "friendly" they can be, and I've seen when the "switch gets turned", and they are NOTHING BUT UNCONTROLLABLY VISCOUS. It's not my intent to offend, but I simply have 'zero-tolerance' for pit-bulls. If one wanders onto my property, collar or not, chasing livestock or not, it's going to get killed.

Paul

Yup, I agree.

It's head was shaped like a rattler- stronger jaws than a Lab. My wife shot a German Shepherd that killed some birds several months ago. It made the mistake of heading towards her rather than walking the other way. The young dog was captured, even though it was munching on my bird. My poor birds were a scene of carnage Sunday, a body here, a body there. Big slash marks on one, and the head eaten off the other. Just killing for the fun of killing.

Even here in the "Peoples Paradise/Republic of Kalifornia" we have Livestock protection Laws. A couple of years ago a Yuppy was walking his Dog in Rural Sacramento County when it was shot by a Rancher more than a quarter mile from the nearest road and in the midst of his Cattle. The DA sided with the rancher and Local Lawyers would not take the case. The County and surrounding Counties have Leash laws as well as the State Livestock Protection Laws. I don't remember what Breed the dog was, but I remember it was a Hansome Breed; Pity People don't train their dogs to heel.

You did the right thing.

No one likes to shoot a dog...but you have to protect your stock.

How did that dog get in?

Perhaps you need a stronger fance..shooting the dog is fine but it is not going to replace the chickens killed.

Since it happened twice..I would expect it to happen again.

Glad you and your lady are OK.

karl

Looks like my response failed to post. Karl, I have an 11 foot opening where I'm going to put a gate. I have to save up for an opener (thousand bucks for all the hardware). The dog came in through there. My chickens were happy wandering in the yard, but it cost 8 of them their lives. I put them in the fenced in coop area. Of course, the dog came back to find the chickens again. Its mistake was to do it when my wife and I were out there, and it ran around the coop while I ran for the Glock.

I hate killing dogs,it would do alot more good to kill the so called owners but that won't do.What I've found does really cut down on my dog problems is to when possible take the dead dog back to it's owner or better yet take it back alive and leave it dead,of course you'll be a no good sob.But if these so called owners aren't made aware of what is happening and why they'll just keep draging in more culls to replace the ones they think just ran away.Since I've started this my dog problems have changed from on going to once in a blue moon. Jim

First, if you own a dog, sooner or later it's going to get loose. Second, dogs are predators. We can make them into "foo-foo things", but in their hearts, they chase and kill and eat things smaller than them. I would take a very dim view of anyone that caught my dog - even if it was chasing livestock - brought it to my yard and killed it in front of me. A VERY dim view.

If the owner of the dog is known - the dog has a collar or you know the dog - the less cruel, more effective, and less likely to lead to escalation of trouble, is to take the dog to the "Pound". The owner will be contacted by "Animal Control" and they will have two choices: pay to get the dog back or let the dog be killed by Animal Control. If they choose to let Animal Control kill the dog, they have to pay for the killing and the disposal. Either the owner cares about the dog and they will pay to get it back - lesson learned. Or they don't care about the dog, and they have to pay to get it killed. "Good" owners will learn a lesson from almost losing a pet, and "bad" owners will learn a lesson from having to pay for their animal's "bad" behavior. In Alaska, if the owner is known, the owner also has to pay for the livestock harmed or killed.

You bring my dog that got loose to my yard and kill it in front of my family and the police are going to be involved. And that will be AFTER I "take care" of the matter to the best of my ability with the resources I have at hand.

Paul

I have to agree with Paul.

Shooting the dog in front of the owner is going to escalate matters.

If some one took Tawny the cat and killed her in front of me...I would shoot him dead on the spot.

Take the dog if captured to the owner and the dead birds and demand payment.

That would be a batter path.

Karl

I have to agree with Paul.

Shooting the dog in front of the owner is going to escalate matters.

If some one took Tawny the cat and killed her in front of me...I would shoot him dead on the spot.

Take the dog if captured to the owner and the dead birds and demand payment.

That would be a better path.

Karl

After making my LIVING in the livestock business for 40 years those are exactly the kind of replies I expect from those that dont,but the very responses I hope for when I have to put a dog down, I hate it and dont get any enjoyment out of it or take it lightly.Dont know what the law is where you live but I know what it is here.If a dog is bothering my cattle it's ass is mine bought and paid for IF I so choose, end of story.I've also been a coon hunter since the 60's and bred and raised and trained hounds and other types of tree dogs since the 70's and am well aware of the nature of dogs,and have lost a few that I cried tears the size of horse turds over when they died.I'm also one of the founding members of the Missouri Sporting Dog Association and very proud of the fact that because of our members hard work we were able to put a stop to the Missouri Department of Consevations efforts to legalize the killing of dogs by land owners for just being on their land, they didn't have to be bothering anything or being able to procecute for tresspass the owners of dogs found on posted land even if the owner wasn't.With that being said if you shoot one of my dogs for nothing more than crossing your land, YOUR ass is mine bought and paid for end of story, that's the law in Missouri.If you shoot one of my dogs for bothering your stock I'll pay for the damages and buy you some more ammo, and I've been on all sides of it and don't like any of them

Only twice in my life have I felt it nessasary to kill dogs the very first time I caught them in my cows,they actually had something down,most times a shot in the air will put them down the road and you never see them again the second time a dose of high brass 6's and they take up a different hobby problem solved but three strikes and they are out.If you burn them with bird shot and they come back theres no braking them.I've tried talking to folks a few times about their dogs and all I got was cussed and then had to kill the dog anyway.

Paul I'd bet a fair amount that if we were neighbors I'd never have to worry about your dogs bothering a thing just like the majority of my neighbors,good folks but a few.....

Karl,how big is your damn cat anyhow?LMAO!!

I should have made my self clearer in my first post,I'm not talking about a few dollars worth of chickens kept because someone wants to {not trying to belittle fc} I'm talking stock that makes my living the difference between a roof over my families head or not.And if your the type of person thats going to force me to do something I hate as bad as killing a dog I'm going to make sure it stays with you like it does me.

I think we understand each other, Manureman, and agree.

There are a few things I keep in mind when I deal with neighbors. Among those things are: First, being a good neighbor. That's one of the most significant "two-edged" swords that exists. The second is that when I have to deal with a 'bad' neighbor, I have TWO enemies - the neighbor, AND THE COPS. Cops ALWAYS TRY to make things into "bigger" matters than they are, because they are fundamentally control freaks and want to assert their "control" as much and as often as possible. (And before any cops or cop lovers start to take me to task, I was a sworn Peace Officer (carried a badge) for 12 years.) If the cops are going to have to be involved, I want them thinking I am the rational "party". If I walk onto my neighbor's property, armed with a firearm, and use that firearm to destroy my neighbor's property - disregarding the potential for starting a gunfight with my neighbor - I WILL NOT be viewed as the "rational" party by the cops OR the court.

Paul