Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Getting Over The Habit?

karlunity

Hello fellas.

I did enjoy those milsups..cleaning ..restoring..and firing. Trying to get smaller and smaller groups.

Still I think that I AM getting over "The Habit"

I am thinking of keeping about 4 rifles and 4 pistols and selling the rest.

Karl

Hello fellas.

I did enjoy those milsups..cleaning ..restoring..and firing. Trying to get smaller and smaller groups.

Karl

So how many veterans do you care for? You can quit the Habit dosen't mean you have to let go of your kids.

It just means stopping buying any more, I know hard isn't it. Just think how you will miss the annual inspection and cleaning, or the sound of the report on the range. The joy of seeing the grouping at 100yrd's. Not to mention the focus of mind and body required to get them which will keep you healthy. The price of buying any firearm is rocketing upwards and with or beloved government working hard to remove our right to own.... I would keep them. buy some cosmoline and pvc pipe and store them. Out of sight , out of mind. The next person to own them may not care for them the way you do. I feel your pain.

Stevyn

Hello fellas.

Karl

Funny you should say that. That's where I am now myself. Actually what got my attention was the knowledge that the "fun" part was getting to know a new rifle, cleaning it up and making it serviceable, shooting and trying to accurize it. Once I got that part done, it's on to the next unfamiliar gun. Just like putting aside a lover for lack of excitement. I'm not a gunsmith by any stretch but have built several old Mauser actions into wonderful hunting guns and that was fun too. Finding a good gunsmith worth his pay has been impossible for me though and I've given up that routine. I hate to blemish this forum but I have to say my current passion has been building an AR-15 from the ground up. No gunsmith needed, lots and lots of variables to play with and easily changed.

I sold several old war horses to be able to put together an AR I can be proud of and I don't regret it. I'm keeping all the ole friends I cherish, but their new companions will be fewer. Don't have much room for more anyway. I found out that performance and accuracy is what spins my prop, the collecting was fun but I put more work into it than I should have. Never ruined a milsurp but I guess I should've been a gunsmith by trade. I sure like building.

Regards

Dok

It is easy to lose interest, minimize the collection but it is hard to not find your interest re-newed if you come across an old Mauser or other mil-surp in need of some TLC. If you do thin out your collection you best avoid gunshows or publications like Shot Gun News. One part of your mind will be saying saying yes and the other saying no. I've lost interest several times especially when I was involved with retailing guns. All firearms just became merchandise to me. My interest was re-newed when wheeling-dealing benefited me and improved my personal collection rather than turning a fast buck for my business. Karl my gut feeling is your lost of interest is only temporary. It only takes finding a bargain or a challenge bringing an old mil-surp back to life and you might find the number in your vault growing again.

Hello Az,

I was thinking of sort of moving to Matty Mattel AR-15s and Aks.

I never had any great interest in them as I love blue steel and polished walnut.

But I am getting tempted...The Hippy said a new location has changed my "aspects". : )

Karl

Me too. I don't hunt anymore, and wonder how many I should keep. I have sold some, and could part with more, I suppose. Hard to sell them when Craigs List won't let you, and newspapers don't like let you sell guns either. I don't want to give them away to some store. I'm thinking of handing them down when the kids get older and get married.

The Hippy and I don't have kids.

Had I remained in cali, I would have given some to my older ex students.

I did give my ammo to a friend when I moved.

As far as "stores" go, FC is right.

A fella told me that the rule is half the lowest blue book value.

That is just plain wrong.

Karl

Out of all the auction sites I found I like to sell on Gunbroker the best. I seem to alway do better there. I've been cleaning the shop and basement lately, amazingly I sold over $1500 in the last 2 months in parts only between gb and ebay. As much as I hate ebay everthing always sells for a lot more there. Kind of supplements the income a little since I can't work.

Don

Me too. I don't hunt anymore, and wonder how many I should keep. I have sold some, and could part with more, I suppose. Hard to sell them when Craigs List won't let you, and newspapers don't like let you sell guns either. I don't want to give them away to some store. I'm thinking of handing them down when the kids get older and get married.

Tony follow this link and see if they have ads for your location. They allow guns, ammo etc.

http://phoenix.backpage.com/

I hadn't heard of that one either. It's like Craigs List.

Don, are you out of work because of the weather, or is the home market just dead there?

Nope, broke my ankle in 3 places. Had surgery where they put in a plate and 3 screws to pull everything back together. First time in my life I broke anything, I guess I don't bounce like I did when I was younger.

Don

I hadn't heard of that one either. It's like Craigs List.

It is a direct competitor of Craig's List. In Phoenix there are better than 100 ads added daily. At least 50% are asking way to much and when a good deal appears one has to move on it fast. I've driven way across town a few times only to have another buyer arrive before I did. I've made numerous trades since I started following the ads. I always insist on a signed bill of sale and exchanging ID. I add a line in my contact email that is total BS but it keeps anybody from trying to deal me a hot gun. I claim to be a retired Deputy Sheriff and will run the serial number. I then ask if they are willing to exchange ID. I've had several that I never hear from again or "I just sold it" but their ad is still live. The Deputy line is good for scaring away any illegal aliens. Our Sheriff has a pretty tough reputation for rounding them up while many city cops with orders from above wont even bother to contact the feds. To the best of my knowledge it is illegal to pose as a cop but I'm unaware of any law that says it is illegal to pose as a retired cop. It was a retired Phoenix cop I swapped 22 pistols with that advised me to use the retired Deputy line of BS.

Nope, broke my ankle in 3 places. Had surgery where they put in a plate and 3 screws to pull everything back together. First time in my life I broke anything, I guess I don't bounce like I did when I was younger.

Don

Sorry to hear that Don, hope you heal up soon. Is Worker's Comp keeping you fed or did it happen off the job?