Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Is This Normal?

CurtInAtl

Hard to tell from the pics, but if it looks as bad in person I would shy away from using it. Hard to tell if it is just the burr from sloppy threading of the thread is half gone from the pics. When the barrel hand tightens back on how loose are the threads? Hate to spend a lot of time and end up wit a take down rifle. Especially since there are cheap replacements. Spanish mausers aren't known for quality. BTW do they line up with the broaching cuts for the lugs?

Don

It seems to be lined up with the bolt guide that goes down the left side of the receiver.

The barrel threads show no sign of anything out of the ordinary. The barrel threads in smoothly to what looks like about 1/4 to 1/2 turn from the face of the receiver then gets too tight to turn by hand. I haven't really cleaned the threads on either yet.

There is just a bit of motion between the barrel and receiver that goes away about 4 turns in.

I have put probably 120 rounds of Venezuelan surplus ammo through this rifle.

My thoughts were that someone clipped the threads while broaching.

I think it's OK; the other portion of the threads are intact, and the clipped portion still has some to engage with. I've seen take-down barrel configurations with less engagement than that (I mean interrupted threads). The barrel -- once screwed in -- isn't going anywhere.

If it is just that one spot and the it isn't as bad as the pic shows then you should be ok. Broaching damage was what I was getting at, which is why I ask if it lined up. Barrel being tight and original tells me the front ring isn't stretched. Probably been that way since day 1.

Don

We have our troop shooting trip coming up the 6,7,&8th of April so I will have a chance to try it out.

I am real happy with how the butt pad came out.

I am going to fill the cleaning rod hole in the front of the forend with a small dowel then drill it to mount the front sling swivel.

Next I have to work out some mild loads that will still drop a deer or pig.

I had to look up broaching. :rolleyes:

My thoughts were that someone clipped the threads while broaching.

I think it's OK; the other portion of the threads are intact, and the clipped portion still has some to engage with. I've seen take-down barrel configurations with less engagement than that (I mean interrupted threads). The barrel -- once screwed in -- isn't going anywhere.

Parker-Hale receivers are made with a slot through the threads.

The 1st photo is a Parker-Hale 98 unfinished, unthreaded, casting that shows the groove.

#2 is a Parker-Hale sniper receiver that also shows gap in the threads.

I also have a Parker-Hale Midland, which is a modified mauser type action but uses a Springfield 03 bolt. It also has the gap in the threads. (sorry no photo of that one)

post-200-13329049064_thumb.jpeg

post-200-133290510253_thumb.jpg

Wow, thanks.

That's way less threads than I have.

I am going to have to put it back together before I have a chance to drill the receiver. The scout trip was rescheduled to this weekend because of Easter and I didn't find out about it until yesterday. Now instead of all next week while I am on vacation to get ready I have only tonight and tomorrow evening to get everything ready. Now I am probably going to drive down on Saturday morning instead of Friday evening.

I really want to try out that barrel this weekend.

How is white lithium grease for the threads when I put the barrel back in?

I put the barrel back in yesterday evening. After I cleaned up the threads and put some grease on the barrel I was able to hand tightened it up to about 10:30 or 11:00 and then it was no problem to tighten it down to the witness marks.

After I try out the barrel this weekend with the irons sights I will take it back off and then drill & tap the receiver.