Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Giving Some Bling To My Cheap Mauser

donmarkey

I got a new bolt jewelling jig and st juhad to test it out. Normally I prefer polished bolts but I figured my under $200 mauser was the perfect test canidate since I hadn't jeweled anything in probably 10 years. The indexing type jigs make it so much easier than I remember. But still no faster. This jig was built by Ted Blackburn.

Don

turk30-06022.jpg

turk30-06024.jpg

The bolt looks great, what tool did you use? (that actually touched the bolt)

Just an old school wire brush. I did heat shrink it to keep it from flaring out. It is in a spring loaded holder to keep the pressure even. I tried the tool that uses the cratex rods but didn't like the results as much.

Don

Just an old school wire brush. I did heat shrink it to keep it from flaring out. It is in a spring loaded holder to keep the pressure even. I tried the tool that uses the cratex rods but didn't like the results as much.

Don

I agree about the cratex. I use mine once with not so good results. I never thought of heat shrink, I've usually used wire to try to stop the brush from spreading.

That fixture seems to give some real uniform results.