Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Any Glock Experts Here?

Dr.Hess

I bought a 3.5 lb trigger connecter for my 1st gen Glock 17. I found some youtube vids on Glock disassembly, but they have 3 pins and my first gen 17 only has 2 pins (one for the trigger, one in the back of the handle). Does this one take down like the 3 pin ones, just without the 3rd pin or is there something else I need to do?

I have been thinking about a Glock in 45 acp for a while now. I have been doing some research and asking around. I have never fired one but don't know if they are for me. A coworker (would be Commando type) thinks they are the greatest. They might be, I just have had any time on the range with one. I think a Kimber would be better at twice the price. Then again I could get 2 Glocks for the price of 1 Kimber. Don't know which way to turn so I'm still looking around. Any one want to weigh in. I value the opinion of this Forum members over that of some Commando type. Ralph

Well, I figgered out my question myself. 1st gens just don't have that second pin on top. Everything else is the same.

As for your question, Ralph, I'm a big believer in the 1911 platform. However, these new plastic guns have a whole lot of development in them that the 1911 just didn't have available 100 years ago. No, they're not the same. Apples and oranges, kinda, but personally, I think either is a fine weapon. I have shot a Glock 40 and it shot fine. My 17 shoots fine. Quite reliable. I also like the Taurus 24/7 plastic line, and I have shot a 45 version of that and I would take 2 or 3 of those over 1 Kimber 1911 anytime. Money no object? Well, sure, 3 Kimbers would be nice.

Anyway, if it fits your hand well, rent one at the range and see if you like it. The whole Glock thing isn't for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

i would shoot one first if you can. i had a glock 21 sf in 45 acp. it didnt fit my hand which made accurate shooting very hard. i sold it and bought an eaa witness elite match 45 and absolutly love it! i am able to make regular hits on old empty propane cylinders at 100yards with the witness. i also just picked up a rock island armory 9mm 1911 that i am currently doing modifications to. its a nice little pistol in its own right. as to the 1911 line, you dont have to spend the money for a kimber to get a nice 1911. dont get me wrong, kimbers are great pistols, but the taurus 1911 are getting high praise as are the new remington 1911. i do think that rock river just came out with a polymer 1911... might just have to give that one a look'sy...

• 1 month later...

I finally picked up a Glock. My choice was a G20C. This is a full sized (15 round) 10mm comped model. The first range session was fun. I will have to find more load data for the 10mm but was very impressed with the firepower.

Ralph

Anyway, if it fits your hand well, rent one at the range and see if you like it. The whole Glock thing isn't for everyone.

Agreed!! I can't knock Glock's reliability or service life. If Glock's advertising claims on the Sportsman's Channel are true. That 65% of US police depts have adopted it. There is also some limited use by the US military. All adds up to one fine handgun. Despite getting over my fear of shooting plastic with my FN's. The remaining stumbling block between me and purchasing ot horse trading for a Glock is the lack of a manual safety. Glock does offer models with a manual safety but to the best of my knowledge, not to the public.

I'm fully aware of the safety rule, finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. I haven't had a problem following it at the range but when confronted a a few times in my life when I had to deal with a bad guy or more recently Pitbulls. In the momentary fight or flight confusion my finger was on the trigger. Until autos were adopted by police agencies there was no such safety rule. An officer drawing his double action revolver. His finger was on the trigger nearly the moment he drew his revolver out of the holster.

There was an incident numerous years ago here in Arizona just a few weeks after an agency adopted the Glock. The 20+ year veteran cop drew his Glock on a bad guy and as the media reported. The cop's pistol accidentally discharged. The news reports were lacking details but I can assume the veteran cop was well trained on the use of a revolver.

Years ago I drew my 1911 type handgun on a 300+ lb bad guy at a rest stop on the Arkansas Missouri border at about 3:00AM. My G/F and now wife spotted the bad guy's male partner in the woman's restroom and ran out calling my name. As I hurried out the men's room this 300 Gorilla in the men's room was chasing behind me. Scared shootless I drew my pistol from the then fashionable fanny pack. From the fright and nervousness my hand was shaking with my finger on the trigger. The pistol could have easily discharged but the thumb safety was engaged. After a deep breath, collecting my thoughts. My finger stayed on the trigger but my thumb was in place to drop the safety.

Guess I'm showing my age and reluctance to change. Until I'm certain I could keep my finger off the trigger in a frightening situation. I'm sticking with D/A revolvers or hi-cap autos with either a manual thumb safety or a double action trigger. Nothing against Glocks, just simply not for me.