Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Notching A Reciever

Guest chris

I'm trying to build my first M98 and bought a forged bolt ,now I need to notch my reciever.How do I know when to stop? do I just eyeball it ?On my unsporterized rifles the root of bolt handle makes contact with the recievers but I was thinking I read someplace this was a no no but maybe I was thinking about it hitting the stock.Can you go to far ? and what happens if you do? TIA Chris

I'm going to one of our better bolt handle men on the board give you the correct, technical answer to your question, but to give a short answer, you want it to go far enough down that the safety notch on the top of the bolt clocks to twelve, but no further. If you're bolt can cam past that "spot," all sorts of unusual and unpleasant things can happen.

My advice is to go very slow when cutting the notch.

There are two ways to tell if you'r down far enough. First one was is to notch the reciever till the safety notvh in the back of the bolt is top dead center. The second way is to look through the scope mount hole, the second from the frint. You should be able to see the gap in the locking lug on the bolt for the ejector. This is the most acurate way, if you already have the action drilled and taped.