Military Firearm Restoration Corner

First MFRC Shooting Match Announcment

MorgansBoss

Not wanting to delay any longer I'm announcing our first match.

The rules are simple. Save and print the target posted here full size (it is 8.5x11).

Five shots per target - all shots must be identifiable no matter how many you shoot through the same hole! laugh.gif Fill in all information on the target EXCEPT official score, I'll do that!

Shoot as many as you like but submit only ONE per category. Categories are Scoped and Open Sights. Any caliber, any rifle, bench or off-hand, its your choice. Shots will be scored on the "best edge," so the bigger the holes the better! biggrin.gif

Distance for THIS match will be 50 yards. Targets must be received by Nov. 30.

Target is here;

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/Mor.../MFRCtarget.jpg

I'm looking forward to hearing from ya'll.

open target (jpg),

using the menu select "file", "save as", ( put it somewhere you can get to ),"save"

Then

Right click on start, select explore, which will open windows explorer.

locate file, double click on file name (mfrctarget.jpg), which will open the

windows picture and fax viewer.

click the print button at the bottom of the screen. It will open the "photo

printing wizard. click "next" 4 times and it will print.

Why not just do it the way Bill's boys did it?

Shoot any target, 5 shots 100 yards, and send in the target.

It's the group size you are going to score, ain't it?

OK, so it's going to be the score on the standard 100 yard target, eh?

BTW, I too got only a partial target with the link.

Why not just shoot a standard 100 yard target and send it in? We are all friends here, and nobody would need a printed-out target.

fritz

Morgan or whomever is going to do the leg work should call the shots on the targets. Just a suggestion, I used this website awhile back and printed out some targets. The website doesn't try and stuff your computer with a bunch of cookies. After I used it the prior time, I did a virus and spyware scan after printing about a dozen targets and it was clean. Another suggestion and my personal preferance, I print the targets out on green paper. http://www.munitions.com/targets/

I didn't get a chance to look at AZredneck's site yet but here is another suggestion.

http://www.nosler.com/target.html

I'm open to any single target. I want to keep things imple but I'm personally in favor of one target used by all. If I'm over ruled, that's ok too. Whatever is easiest for all involved. this is for fun after all.

Oh boy, what a bunch of whiners.

Me too.

It costs over $100 for me to replace the ink cartridges in my printer.

I vote we use this target.

I don't know about you guys, but our range is NRA sanctioned, and this is the target--only three on the paper, vertical--that they use. So it would be easy for me.

But even if you have to order some, $9.00 plus shipping for 100. Who can't swing that?

And... thanks for the effort, MorgansBoss. I'm certain that once we get the details sorted out, everyone's gonna love this.

flaco

MR31 is good enough for me. I presume that we are not shooting for groups but rather points? Is that right? How does that work, if the hole is touching the next higher point value it is scored as the higher value?

Usually, if what I shoot dies quickly, I figure I done good. Paper I hear is much harder to kill.

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

UPDATE----UPDATE---UPDATE

I've decided to let you guys decide what the rules will be, what target to use, what catagories, etc.,etc.,etc....

When you get it all sorted out let me know.

Gentleman, lets not let this whole thing fall apart. MorgansBoss has gratiously stepped up to the plate with the whole postal shoot idea. I am thinking that with all the suggestions to how it might be done he has felt like he is being over run on the whole thing. There have been many suggestions on various targets that could be used if he wished. It's his effort so I vote we let him pick the target and make the rules. I will follow whatever lead he chooses on this on. Hope we can get this whole thing going, it should be fun for all. swamp_thing

Gents I agree.

I think folks were simply trying to help by linking to those targets since we had trouble downloading the jpg that morgansboss initially provided. In my mind, Fritz is right that the MR-31 looks pretty close to me and nobody seems to be having trouble downloading it.

I have to admit that I must not have read the initial post about scoring. Let me say that I've never shot for "score" before so all I was looking for is clarification, that's not unreasonable is it? That said, and after reading the post again, I think the scoring is clear:

Shoot as many as you like but submit only ONE per category. Categories are Scoped and Open Sights. Any caliber, any rifle, bench or off-hand, its your choice. Shots will be scored on the "best edge," so the bigger the holes the better!

Distance for THIS match will be 50 yards. Targets must be received by Nov. 30.

Now, all we need to do is agree on one easily printable target. Does this sound good to all?

Since three have already agreed on MR31 can we say that that will be the official target?

Boys, don't anybody get the wrong impression from my last post. I was at work and in a hurry. The simple fact is that I've recently come into several "issues" that must be dealt with and just don't have the time or patience to mediate this controversy as well - priorities you know. Please feel free to debate whatever everyone here wants to do. My only contribution to the discussion is that I've never liked the idea of "shooting for group" without that group being closest to the obvious aiming point. I think it was z1r who made reference to only having shot game, and that the point is HITTING WHAT YOU AIM AT. If my rifle and I are accurate but my sights print three inches high and six inches left, I may shoot a perfect "group" but the rifle is useless for its intended purpose!

I vote for shooting for score NOT group.

Thanks for the explanation Morgansboss.

In the interest of taking some things off your plate, can I step up and propose then that the initial rules you outlined are the official rules, we shoot for score, and that the target we use is the MR31 since so far no one has complained that it won't print correctly?

Can I get a second to this motion?

Last item, I wonder about the quick turn around time of Nov 30 for returning the targets. This is more a question for morgansboss since he is scoring these? Would you be opposed to maybe extending it another week since we are still hammering out the rules?

Thanks all.

Thanks Fritz. Then in order to get the show off the road, I'm going to post the official rules and target on a new thread to avoid confusion.

Here are the official rules!

And remember, this is for fun, let's not make this a headache for Morgansboss.

I’ll volunteer and stick my neck out. If any regular member of this group can’t print the target or has issues with ink jets. I’ll mail you a few targets. If you need more, you can burn some copies on a Xerox. I just don’t want to stick my neck out to far and have every Tom, Dick and Harry email for free targets. I will likely edit and delete this message in a few days. Send me a private message via the board.

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

All in favor signify by...

Hmmm, that might take awhile... so are we finished now? Is it safe to proceed?

While I have some time (well, the county's time wink.gif ) allow me to address two questions that were riased;

1. I set the distance at 50 yards for THIS match based on the assumption that anyone using an "established range" can typically shoot at this distance as well as the usual 100yards. Those who may be using an "improvised range," say the back pasture, will find it easier to set up at the shorter distance.

2. I have set Nov 30 as the cut-off. I like easy dates, since I have such a hard time remembering them! Today being the tenth, gives everyone nearly THREE WEEKS to get out, shoot and mail their target. Typical USPS delivery for a letter from California to Maryland is about five days!

Now, as the first match this is a test run. I'm sure we'll run into things we want to change as time and experience grows. That is another reason I don't want to start out complicated only to get MORE complicated. blink.gif

I'll post the address again when I get home later today. Thanks to z1r and everyone else who stepped in to get this thing back on track! I think it'll be fun.