Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Stocks

TLynn

donmarkey

(6/26/05 8:13)

Reply Stocks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have a good source for stocks? I've installed a few boyds VIP stocks and they are easy but the wood to metal fit is terrible. I don't know if their semi-inlet stocks would be any better except for the barrel channel. For a truck gun gaps are OK and can be glass bed, but I'm looking for a better fit around the triggerguard than boyds.

Don

z1r

(6/26/05 9:47)

Reply Re: Stocks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dennis Olson

P.O. Box 337

500 1st. St.

Plains, Mt. 59859

Tel: 406-826-3790

He can turn a blank for you. If you have a stock you want duplicated he can do that or he has pattern stocks.

For blanks, you can try:

www.presliksgunstocks.com

www.dressels.com/

or try Bill Soverns who posts here.

Lastly, This guy is new to the game but has turned out some real nice work.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/ub...043/m/435100582

You are looking at about $100 to turn the stock. And for a decent piece of wood another $200. Get English, Circassian, French or Am. Black Walnut. Less figure but better wood, You will see lots of Claro for $200 that looks very good but the layout may be wrong and the wood itself is inferior to the others. Richards microfit actually sells blanks too. About $300 total for a good custom stock but after all the hardwork you put into fiting a stock it is worth it. I used a few semi inlets, did a great job fittingthem, but because the inletting had gaps (that it came with), I was never satisfied.

For checkering, try Ahlmans.

Here is a blank I got from Presliks:

user posted image

user posted image

z1r

(6/26/05 9:50)

Reply Re: Stocks

user posted image

user posted image

Ive been really pleased with the 2 stocks Ive bought from Richards Micro Fit http://rifle-stocks.com I had them make one and I bought one off there inventory list. Both laminates. They have alot of different stock styles to choose from and alot of different woods and laminates too. They arent totally drop in stocks, they call it 99%, you do have to get a little wood out of it but its not much at all. First pic is a black laminate thats unfinished and has a mauser barreled action stuck in it for pics, the secon is a camo lamiante dual grip thumbhole that is finished and ready to go

user posted image

user posted image

That's a fine looking rifle on the bottom there jasonthehunted. Some more details would be appreciated - what's the metal finish, how did you do the bolt handle - it looks like a great job.

Regarding Richard's, I like them too, but as z1r has indicated the gaps take some of the fun out of an otherwise great piece of wood. My other blunders still overshadow the gaps for now, but I can see the time approaching when my craftsmanship will be worthy of a 'real' stock. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for my next rifle - am I good enough for a real stock? The outcome of my current projects will tell. If not I'll go with Richard's again, if so I'll try to follow z1r's excellent guidance above.

That's a fine looking rifle on the bottom there jasonthehunted.  Some more details would be appreciated - what's the metal finish, how did you do the bolt handle - it looks like a great job.

thanks, its a Czech vz24 action with a 24" parker hale 243 varmint weight barrel, bold trigger with side safety, Sims buttpad and I used KG guncoat stainless to finish the metal. The bolt handle is a homemade job basically used an old steel rod and added a bunch of molten steel to it then grinded down and shaped it on a drill press. Ive shot a .324 5 shot group with it at 100 yards with handloaded 55 grain nosler ballistic tips. It will get close to if not pass 4000fps with that load. I now pretty much stay with 100 grain sierras with it now.

Guest Guest_montea6b

Jason,

RE: your other post on bolt handles... I'd say you've got it down! I like that bolt handle very much and I'm kind of particular about then.

If I was to build a truly nice rifle one day I would consider the panel checkered models in the Brownells catalog.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The subject was stocks.

Has anybody ever ordered from Dakota Cliff? He has some nice looking wood for decent prices. I like the idea of seeing the wood before you order.