Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Noob with Turk

Scooter

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really you can get away with a plug tap and drill the hole a little deeper but not too deep and after tapping all the holes grind the tip down on the tap and finish the front hole. That’s the only hole that is blind and you should throw the tap away anyway and replace it with each receiver. 

The outer layer of the receiver is REALLY hard too.  Inside the receiver is fairly soft, but that outside layer was hardened.  Some people will grind some of the receiver right at where you want the hole drilled to get through that hard layer.

I am Bubba.  Don is Professional. ZM too.

Must Turks I came across weren’t that hard. Which is why I recommended a colbalt drill and a center punch. Watch the drill carefully for walking. A carbide center drill can be used if it is too hard. Hopefully he has a drill press with a decent vise. If not I would invest in one. Get it lined up and clamp everything in place each hole. I get spoiled because I drill them in my cnc mill. I drill manually but can dial in the exact spot and start each hole with a 3mm carbide center drill then the rest of the way with a 31 cobalt jobber drill. Then I can use the same reference point to mill the dovetails in the bases to keep everything inline with the bolt raceway. 

Well, you know a lot more about it than me, Karl.  Thought you worked professionally at it once, which makes you a pro to me.  I was once a professional sailor.  That makes me a pro at that in my book.  Lessee, also been a professional radio telegrapher, brain surgeon, programmer, and bunch of other stuff, but never a gunsmith.

It'll be a week or two until my goodies show up so I guess I'll keep sanding and polishing steel to keep myself entertained.  Also have an old Mossberg  500 that was given me short a few parts.  Maybe I'll tear into it and try to figure out what it needs.

Hmmm...radio telegrapher you say.  Are you an amateur radio operator by any chance?

Getting ready to drill.  Bought a drill press vice from HF.  Got the front rear front hole at .475 from backside of ring and confirmed that that seems to be dead center in the lug space.  Waiting for glue to dry thoroughly before hitting it with center punch.  Wish me luck...will let y'all know how it goes.

No nick so I guess I'm good.  The front hole went well also.  I didn't have to go the full .250.  I was very careful not to go all the way thru at the front.  Tap is in the trash can :).

Just got my Timney/Beuhler safety installed so now It's down to ordering my rings and finish work.  Having a lot of fun.

Sounds good. That is the best thing you can do with a tiny used tap. They are cheap, break easy, and are a pain to remove the broken pieces. Avoids the temptation to reuse them. I buy them 12 at a time. One use per receiver. The ones for non hardened parts get bagged and the bag is marked with the amount of holes. 25 or so and they get tossed. 

So here it is...in all it's glory.  Not quite a work of art, but I think it will make for a capable field rifle.  Next I'll shoot it and see how it does.  Bedding may follow.

I sanded that stock until I began to worry about removing too much material.  I put tape over old Yakup Ozturk's scratchings because I just couldn't bring myself to sand off the history.  It surprised me that many nicks and blemishes appeared (as if from no where) only after my 5th coat of LInseed oil.  I'm not fussy about such things so it really doesn't bother me much.  Just rather surprised by it. 

Really love this rifle and hopefully will love it more after shooting it...thanks guys!

rifle1.jpg

rifle2.jpg

rifle3.jpg