Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Scrubbed VZ24 Receiver Question

AckleyFan

I have a Brazil contract VZ24 receiver that has been scrubbed/ground, the serial number is still there thankfully.  My concern is the case hardening has now been removed from the outside, but naturally is still intact on the inside. When drilling and tapping I noticed the bit run through the outside like a hot knife through butter then make contact with the CH on the inside and slow me down as one would expect.  Any issues/concerns with using the receiver as-is or should in be sent off to someplace like Blanchards to be re-hardened?  Natually I'm going to build an Ackley with it as these feed rails were almost made for the conversion! :)  

I would not be concerned.  Many countries' arsenals re-did their Mausers, grinding off whatever was there, especially if they bought them used and they never bothered to reharden them.  Look at the Turks, for example.  Besides the K-Kale's, almost every one has been ground down.  They all were rebarreled for 8x57, even the ground down small rings.

@Dr. Hess - I has assumed as much but one can never be too sure, so I figured I'd best ask the folks that are more experienced.   One of these days I'm going to takes pics and post the results of my various Mauser builds - my version of a "Frankenrifle" is my personal favorite at the moment.

Thanks for the responses, I'm moving this build forward as soon as the barrel arrives.  Now I have to order the custom reamer from Dave Manson - it seems I never order anything "off the shelf". 

I, of course, defer all questions requiring gunsmithing knowledge to z1r.  Otherwise, just my opinion, limited experience and observations.

Sarco has some receivers.  Small and large ring.  If I recall, large rings were in the $100+ range, depending on which one, and small rings were real cheap, but probably 1916 Spanish and not antique.  Also keep an eye on CenterfireSystems.com.  They have antique and non-antique barreled receivers come up all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn’t hesitate to use it as to heat treating. The problem with scrubbed actions in they are true on the outside anymore. I would surface grind or mill the area that the scope bases mount to insure they are parallel and measure to see if shims or custom mounts are in order. 

I test fit an EGW base and it was perfect, no shims needed.  Drilled & tapped with a barrel I use for mock ups to ensure proper alignment, pits filled, scuffed, it's ready for a shot of Cerakote.  I used Sniper Grey for my .308 Winchester project and it looks really nice - reminds me of a parkarized Garand.  I'll probably squirt it with Graphite Black though.  As you can see, I like the holes drilled well forward of the bolt lug. I've seen several actions with holes drilled smack through the middle of the lug... I suspect using those actioins would be unwise.

image.png.878ee5c1e09b52aa473aacb0eec308a9.png

Thru the lugs would prolly be less problem then right thru the locking surface, (face) of the lug!!!

Yup, I got one like that once.. Nice...pretty sure it came from an almost smith, as the front hole went right into the Chamber of the Barrel, also!!!!

BTW that Czech would Not bother me one bit... the 1937 was put there at the factory as it was mfg specifically for Export from Czechoslovakia, in 1937... if it has a "P" serial prefix... it was likely earmarked for Japan.. or possibly ended up in China... like the one I have..which lived a kinda Bad Life.. But, Interesting!!

Have ya some fun...