Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sporterized 91/30

I have attempted to post the following pictures of a 91/30 mosin nagant that I have sporterized. It is a 1930 hex reciever. The stock is a semi inlet from Richards microfit. The bolt handle is one that I shaped from a midway weld on bolt, which I reshaped. The scope mount was made from a weaver bar stock mount. I shortened the barrel about three inches and recrowned. Stock is bedded throughout. Just thought you might like to see what I have done with it. It is a left hand stock as I shoot lefty. Dave

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Dang nice work swampy.You done real good on the bolt handle notch.Always seems to be the first thing I look at to form an opinion on a dudes work.Very well done! Jerry

I milled out some Weaver bar stock [old Tapco AR15 riser] for a hex 91/30 reciever M39.

It was a loose fit, but I glassed them together.

How did yours fit?

Thanks guys for the responses. I have grown pretty fond of the old mosins. Clark, in answer to your question the mount was shaped to fit the top of the hex receiver, but as you stated I too used a small amount of acraglas gel to fill in any voids that might have been. I tend to do this with about all of my scope mounts, using a bit of release agent on the receivers, just to insure that they stay in place.

I have done a few other rifles as well, but over time the old russians have become one of my favorite rifles. They are readily avilable at reasonable prices and can be made into very nice shooters with a bit of tlc.

Nice mosey

How does it shoot? I like my mosins but don't care much for the safety system. I mostly just punch paper these days so the clumsy safety is really a non-issue noise wise but I still don't like 'em.

I have not taken it out to the range since it has been put in this stock. Prior to the new wood it was at best about 2-1/4 inch groups @ 100 yards. It was pretty consistant at those groups however. Since having recently moved and still trying to get settled in I have not found time to take it out and site in. I would think that it would be as good as before the new stock and I am hoping for slight improvement. I will post results as soon as I can get out and give it a try. Maybe even over the week end.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually had not considered changing the trigger on this rifle yet, but would not rule it out in the future. It does have a fairly decent trigger pull for a MN, but as always the better the trigger pull the more improved is the groups.

Horsefly, you had mentioned the bolt notch in the stock before. The funny thing here is that originally I had used one of the ATI bolt handle kits and so the notch was cut for it. When I did the bolt handle for this bolt I had to duplicate the angles so that it would fit the notch in the stock. Also, although hard to tell in the photos the bolt handle is filed flat on the top and bottom surface in a spoon type fashion.

Just thought you might find that interesting. swamp thing

Swamp,

Try this, put some tape over the reciever and under the rear of the trigger spring/sear.

Here is a picture [sorry to those tired of this picture]:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=926374

Swamp Thing, How did you ever get started with such an insidious hobby? tongue.gif

Actually, I am wondering what you will do with your next toy. That M&N you sent

me is always growing on me. Tinman

Well, I personally got started by thoroughly messing up an original stock and being forced to find a way out. As for the next toy, tuff to say. It is kind of an impulse thing with these type projects. Bored today, so what shall I whittle on. No, really the next toy shall remain intact I believe. It is some of the in stock items that have fear in their eyes at this point!! Glad you are still growing closer to the MN. They creep up on a guy. That one would look real good in a new walnut shell don't you think? swamp thing