Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1893 Mauser extractors

Jeremy

Moderators if this topic is in the wrong thread please place it in the appropriate one.

In my quest to educate myself about pretty much all things Mauser. I came across a bit of information and am wondering the validity and am seeking some clarification from somebody who's a bit more knowledgable than I am. I have been reading my copy of Gunsmith Kinks II and have run a across a couple of lines from a gunsmith that states the extractor from an M1903 can be used to replace one on an 1893 Mauser. It is on page 343. 

So here is the questions. Is he referring to the 1903 Turkish? I thought that model is a large ring. Or is he referring to the 1903 Springfield? Can someone please elaborate for me?

I would GUESS they meant a 1903 Springfield, as that was said to have been copied off of a small ring Mauser, down to the US government having to pay Mauser royalties.  Interesting if so, as extractors for small rings are getting harder to find.  I bought a couple of 1891 extractors from Sarco, who said that they would work in 1893's also.  The large ring Mauser extractors are definitely different.

Thanks for responding so quickly. You are the first one to do so and I have posted the same questions on 2 other forums. That was my guess too. But I can be a bit pragmatic at times and just want to be doubly sure. I even dug into my library and opened up my copy of bolt action rifles by Frank de Haas to no avail. So I have some homework to do. 

Like you have pointed out the 1893 and 1895 Mauser extractors are getting hard to find. Original parts are becoming harder to find period. Not only are they harder to find they are getting more expensive. I am trying to compile a list of interchangeable parts between the models for my own reference library because times are getting tuff to find original parts. 

I'm in the same boat and have come to the same conclusion. The small ring Mauser's aren't far behind the 03 Springfield in price. I'll see what shakes loose at the local gun show this weekend. 

I agree they probably meant the Springfield extractor. I have both a 1903 Sporter and a Spanish 1893, but unfortunately the 93 is in the shop so I can’t do a side-by-side comparison. If memory serves, though, the extractors are very similar in appearance.

Incidentally, the 1893 is in the shop getting a Swede 1896 striker fitted to it because I broke the tip and couldn’t find a true replacement. So maybe the 1896 is another option for an extractor. 

I went to the gun show and found a gentleman who let me do a swing test with his 1903 Springfield and my 1893 Mauser extractor. We came to the conclusion that the 1903 Springfield extractor is actually a little too long for the 1893 Mauser and the bolt face on the Springfield is round and doesn't have the flat bottom bolt face like 1893 Mauser. It may work on the 1895 Mauser bolts that have a round face as well. I can't swing test one of those because I don't have either one. 

That still doesn't rule out the 1903 Turk. I did find one at the gun show but that guy wasn't having anything to do with the idea of swing testing parts. He just wanted to sell stuff and went on to try and give me a mis-informed history lesson and that I was crazy for even messing with the 1893 actions in the first place. The story of how weak they are came up and I quickly walked away without letting him finish. 

I also did notice that the race way boss where that the extractor claw is closest to the bolt face is thicker and complete encompasses the bolt face on the 1903 Springfield. Which makes for much more difficult removal of the extractor where the 1893 Mauser it is very easy to remove the extractor without any difficulty at all and the race way lug on the 1893 bolts that I have stop at approximately 270* just before contact is made with the bolt lug. It's a feature that I like because of the ease of which I can change them if they are broken. 

The rest of this post is to show off the things I did find parts, bullets and tools oh my. Here are the pictures of what I got. The bullets are a dozen Hornady 175 grain .284 pull downs for $.50 and a box of 100 .284 175 grain Barns spire point for $30. A semi in-letted Small ring Mauser walnut stock the Fagen butt plate with the white spacer and the block of cherry that I will use for the Fore end tip $38.50. The icing on the cake is the Wheeler scope mount receiver drilling jig and it is complete with the instructions for $30. IMG_0498.thumb.jpg.fe10d035037b934a22fec48310667a6e.jpgIMG_0500.thumb.jpg.2abf57f69d24a87ef35bc7409b7ebd1f.jpgIMG_0501.thumb.jpg.f31375b83254b2f9a3387f3d01e6bd5a.jpgIMG_0501.thumb.jpg.f31375b83254b2f9a3387f3d01e6bd5a.jpg

The complete action and barrel is what I plan to use for this stock. I need to get my hands on a finish reamer in 7x57mm. 

IMG_0499.jpg

14 minutes ago, Dr.Hess said:

Glad we cleared up that extractor question.  "I read it in a book, it must be true."  Today:  "I read it on the internet, it must be true." 

Good haul on the rest of the stuff.

Thank you for the response. I couldn't help myself to question the relevance to what has been published or the accepted norm.It just seemed to good to be true. Especially in this case there is just to much information missing from what I did read in a book. Like you have pointed out "I read it in a book" The past. " I read it on the internet, it must be true." 

I'll add one to the list. "I saw it on the news it must be true." 

Those expressions just ring too true today. Especially the later which I haven't heard in years and just shows my age. LOL

Have a good night.

Jeremy

• 4 months later...

It has been a while since I have posted anything. Here is what the sporter that had started from the parts in my 4th post and now is range ready. Instead of using the cherry fore-end tip blank that I found at the gun show I used ebony that I re-purposed from piano keys glued together with tight bond III. Since this picture was taken I installed a Dayton Traister safety. range day is coming soon.

She has a 14 1'2" length of pull and I have stoned and polished the sear to allow the trigger to break at a crisp 4 1'2 pounds. The action is an 1893 Spanish Mauser that was born in 1922. The barrel is a 7x57mm made by green mountain barrel company with an F14 contour and is 21 inches long. I drilled and tapped her with wheeler drilling jig I found at the same gun show that I got the semi-inletted stock blank from. 

IMG_0584.thumb.jpg.14ad889214b8563018f60a85b7ee8403.jpg

Looks great!  Like the repurposed piano keys.

I wish Green Mountain would make barrels for us again.  I called them up a couple years ago.  They said they would need a 100 barrel minimum order.  So, unless someone wants to be the King of Spanish Mauser Barrels, it ain't gonna happen.  They wouldn't even give a guestimate to cost without an official bid, drawings, etc.  Back shortly before that, Midway was selling the GM barrels for like a bill.  I SWAG'ed the cost from GM at about $80 or less based on that, but only at the 100 level.  Inflation, COVID, Biden, demonrats driving up the costs of everything would put that to probably $160 ea today, so say $15K would make you King.

I wish I had the capital to make a bid like that. However I really doubt that I'd ever really see a return on the investment. I'd be out of business before I could even start. 

Thanks. I have bought parts from SARCO in the past and checked for the availability of complete actions and they are available. I already have two more complete actions to make into sporters I just need to buy stocks, scope bases and barrels now. 

When I originally started this post I just wanted to check the validity of what I had read in books to first hand knowledge and see it for myself because what I had read just didn't make any sense was all. Now I know it won't work. 

I really like haw this thread has morphed. 

The interesting thing about the re-purposed piano keys as a source for ebony is. I didn't think at first that it would turn out as well as it did. I started out by making the keys square then using a glue brush and clamping the pieces together it took 15 to make the blank I used. I must say that ebony is the hardest wood I have worked with so far. Not because it is dense but because it gets very brittle during the shaping process. I had to take my time and clean my files regularly and sanded it to 400 grit before applying the linseed oil finish. 

Jeremy just to clarify...

To use a 1903 Springfield extractor, you have to alter it. A 1903 turk uses a 98 extractor. There's still plenty unused surplus Swede extractors out there that are higher quality than any of Spanish parts that are drop-in fit. I got these on eBay for $32 shipped on a pair

20230222_125638.jpg

Sweet!!!

That is nice to know and answers my original question very clearly. However it leads me to the next question. How exactly is the 1903 Springfield extractor altered to fit an 1893 or 1895 bolt? I'm sure that I could've answered that question myself if I had taken more of the mans time that was kind enough to allow me to perform the swing test at the gun show last year when I initially wrote this thread. 

Now I see. Thank you for the picture and the perfect explanation. 

So in summary they will fit just with some minor modifications.  That is good to know if I ever find myself in a pinch.

I don't at the moment. Thanks for asking. I have 2 more complete actions ready for stocks and barrels. I just need to pick the chambering's and style of stocks to whittle from the blanks I have on hand. One is a cherry blank and the other is a laminated blank I made from walnut and birch. 

I will. I need to make a stock carving and holding fixture first. Because this hobby is getting serious now. Please bear in mind this will be my first ones from a blank. So it will be a learning experience for me too. I have only worked with re-finishing used and semi in-letted stocks up until now. 

Any tips from others who have done this kind of work will be welcomed.