Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1893 Mauser extractors

Jeremy

Nice machine. I'd sure like to have one someday.

A love for the game is something that I have. Besides I was taught in order to use power tools you must learn to do things by hand first. Don't get me wrong I do have a full shop with power tools that I could very easily use to turn out a stock. I just don't want to. I want stick to my discipline and learn the old ways that aren't taught anymore. I'm in no hurry. 

That duplicator is made from Unobtainium.

I think that today, it would be easier, probably cheaper, to get a CNC mil and make stocks that way.  A 3D scanner to scan the action, then some CAD work and you could make a pretty good stock.

A stock making (and just general drilling) tip I read in SGN years ago was to mount a pointy object in the drill vise directly underneath the drill bit (down) so that they touch point to point.  Then put the point at the bottom of your stock where you want the hole to come out, like for the receiver screws, drill bit at the top where you want the hole to start, and you will have your hole perfect, coming out the bottom exactly where you wanted it to. 

Not sure what you mean by interesting but this iinterests me. It quartersawn sycamore that finished at 1lb 11½oz. I hope to have this rifle done before this fall

20230219_162420.jpg

20230219_164403.jpg

I didn't either but I like to think outside the box. I hardened it on the surface with cyanoacrylate

I have really been inspired by the way this thread has evolved. From a simple question to a whole new topic but is still relevant to the original question. So today I have started making my stock makers cradle from scrap wood that I have laying around. I'll post pictures of it a little later I have a meeting with my sons teacher.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:31 AM, inthe10ring said:

I didn't either but I like to think outside the box. I hardened it on the surface with cyanoacrylate

Which form of the cyanoacrylate did you use and how did you apply it to the wood? 

Being myself I took a look at my current situation as it pertains to materials and tools on hand to complete a stock from nothing more than a bare bones blank and I have decided to wait until I get some of the tools that I don't have to make it right. I don't want to put the cart before the horse. There are some chisels, gouges and rasps that I don't have that will make life easier I forgot to mention a band saw too. 

It's best that I wait.