Military Firearm Restoration Corner

a dying art?

claytonfaulkner

I'm finishing up my gun room,and need to see or hear ideas you cats have for how it should be set up.Pictures would be great.My room is 15x15,and I have 2 of the work benches you get from Lowes or the Depot,but they're not stout enough for my vise.As soon as I finish wiring,I'll start putting in together.I have the most important thing,a small icebox for the beer.I need all the advice you dudes have.Jerry

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we added on to our kitchen, I got the new part of the basement under it. It is 12x20. I took our old kitchen cabnets and bases and put them in my room. I aquired a bunch of solid core fire doors that I trimmed to fit for a counter top. They are about 1 1/2" thick. I left a deeper overhang than the regular counter top and took the piece I trimmed off to use for a back splash. I put in a lot of outlets along the back of the work bench and put in a couple of under the counter florescent lights. I also have one of those swing arm lights with the magnifying glass that I use a lot more than I ever figured I would.

I snarfed a couple of clinic exam tables that were being discarded and removed the padded top and put a 2x4' piece of that white shelving on for a new top. This is my loading bench. It has a bunch of drawers and cabnets to keep stuff in. It has a drawer that pulls out with a pan in it that I use to catch any spilled powder or such.

I used one of the fire doors for the entry way and installed a push button combination deadbolt, so the whole room is basically a safe. I have racks on one wall to hold my gun collection. I'll see if I can find some pictures and email them to you.

I have no rugs on the floor.

This way, when I drop a little part or spring, I can find it.

Coat the table tops with a couple of coats of clear stain, it makes it easy to clean up spilled bore cleaner and such.

karl

My indoor room is just a corner of the furnace room with our old kichen cabinets and a safe. I do the bulk of my work in the shop and detatched 26 x 26 garage with no room for even the wifes car let alone my truck, but do hand fitting and reloading in the house, I don't heat the shop all the time so in the winter I do more inside with the high gas costs. But that's where the power tools are and it's not fun running a mill in a carharts.

-Don

I'll do my duty tomorrow, and I even got my girlfriend, a Dem, wanting to vote MCCain because she sees that BHO cannot be trusted to do the right thing for this country.

Have you noticed that Bumbling Biden has dropped off the radar because of his gaffes?

Spiris

Vote..this is our Valley Forge

Vote and hepl bring the old and the sick and the tired to the polls.

The votes of all good Americans are needed in the cause of their nation.

This is our generation's Valley Forge.

Vote.

Karl

Stand up, Chuck!

When they get done "fixing" the taxes, and when they get done "helping the poor" and when they get done making the airwaves "fair" they are going to come for us so that America will be a "safer place".

If you really can't stand the NRA, then go to the Second Amendment Foundation or another one of the few groups defending us and get ready. This is going to be ugly - not a fight for sissies, and you better be with some group that has the skills and resources to keep the good fight.

I've not always liked the NRA because of some of the ill-advised tactics they have used, but in the end they have been the one stand-up group (sorry, Chuck) that never blinked. I am now a Patron Life member and will hang with them and will upgrade to Benefactor in Jan at SCI. As far as that goes you should think of joining SCI, also, if you haven't already. The "liberators" hate hunting as much as they hate guns and it will be right behind the former 2nd Amendment on the removal list of undesirable behaviors.

Stake out your ground, shore up your resources and get ready to fight. The restful days are over and you need to be ready to put your money where your mouth is --and put your mouth there, too.

Brad

:rolleyes: Sorta like dammed if ya do an' dammed if ya don't..We here voted already

weeks ago. mail in ballot...It wasn't for Obama either...Dave

Same here, but, Karl and Dave, I think we live in the one state where it really doesn't matter if you vote. Every election the same old thing...this otherwise red state gets outvoted by LA and SF.

Sure gets disheartening. National candidates don't even bother advertising here. Dems know they own the place and Reps need to spend the money somewhere it might do some good. Not that I miss the ads, mind you, one of the bennies of being here.

I guess both of you are like me, lifers here and watched it go down the drain over the last 30 years or so. Even Pelosi wasn't from here, but blew in from somewhere else.

They apparently have just taken over Colorado. Texas, lock your doors - they're coming for you next, I think.

Brad

did my part. don't think it was enough, this isn't looking good although i havn't watched the news for about an hour now. I was so depressed when i turned it on, i had the sudden urge for a miller lite.

Brenden

Jerry,

Here's a few ideas based on my own workshop experiences.

First, get some insulation and insulate the roof. The walls maybe, but I would definitely put some fiberglass between you and the roof. I saw a guy do that to the steel awning he put over his shooting benches and it helped keep you away from the heat generated when the sun warmed up the roof.

Next, buy the biggest window unit you can find and install it - either in a window or cut a hole the wall for it. My step-father's next door neighbor did that to his shop and it was a great place to piddle around in on the stifling August afternoons. A heater probably wouldn't be a terrible idea either if you could swing it.

Then, sit down with a pad and a pencil and kinda plan out how you want your shop to look and what all furniture, tools, and equipment you want in there. I know you're looking for a place to keep your tools, reload, work on guns, and watch NASCAR and football so you're going to need to know how to wedge a couch and card table in amongst the workbenches and power tools.

Further, build some sho' nuff workbenches. The kind you can beat on, weld on, and spill caustic stuff all over without hurting them. You know, the kind like we all used to have in shop class in high school. Also, wire up more electrical outlets than you think you'll need and allow for some good lighting so you can see what you're working on without straining your eyes. And when you're done with the benches, do think about some cabinets and shelves to store everything. I have basically converted my garage over to a workshop and motorcycle storage and if I could change three things, I'd have more light, more outlets, and more places to store my tools.

Lastly...put a big lock on the door and hang a "Jerry's Place" sign outside!

Hey guys, It is 0249 here in Mo. and I am sick to my guts. Like before an battle. I change my mother's and sister's minds to vote for McCain today. Mom was not feeling to good today, but I drove her to vote, since I was going there my-self. Even my mother was disappoint about the lose. My sister was in bed when the news call the victory.

Rob

an very unhappy American this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've beefed up Sears sheet metal workbenches with 2x4 frames underneath and adding backs to the ones that don't have them. Stiffens things up alot. My reloading bench is an old school lunch room tabletop on a homemade 2x4 frame. 6' long - it weighs a ton. Add a bottom level for storage and instant - more weight. One thing I have learned is flourescent lights may be brighter and work well with my tired old eyes at the reloading bench. But incandescant is THE way to go for finishing stocks. The colors are more correct or at least more like sunlight to me. When warming up walnut with dyes, reds go greenish under flourescent tubes.

Today is Kodiac hunter's Bithday,,Have a great day my friend,,may ya have many more...Dave

As I recall, during the first 2 years of The Clinton administration we had a Democrat controlled congress.

That was the far-left swing of the pendulum. It then began to swing the other way.

In 94 the Republicans took over the legislature, and then in 2001 GW took office, and the pendulum continued to swing right until 2006 when the Dems began to move back in.

Now we have Mr. Obama as President. How far to the left will the pendulum swing before it starts back towards the right?

It would be ideal if Mr Obama could stop it in the middle.