Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bolt Handle

z1r

Here's a few pics of a handle I'm doing for a frequent visitor to this site.

It's a new style for me and I think it may be one of my best to date.

It has only been shaped and polished to 120 grit. But you get a good idea of what the final product will be like.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Guest Guest_z1r_*

One more with a bit more detail.

IPB Image

Pardon the guest post but everytime I tried to add a reply it would litterally add it to my previous post????

That's a very nice bolt Z!!! The first picture is one I can use when I get the junk to weld my first bolt on.I kinda thought I knew how to cut the stub,and the picture makes it very clear.Thanks for that.Tanglewood is doing a bolt for me,but after I'm moved into my new (old) house I'm remodeling,I'm going to have a shop and will be able to get set up to weld my own bolts.What kind of bolt is it? Jerry

Racepres,

No, notching is still required, only not so drastically. In order to make it so no notching is required you'd have to eliminate the bend near the root. It can be done but then you are faced wit the issue of using high scope rings. It would be kuch like the swede 96 bent bolts or other commercial bolts of the pre wwII era. I will be doing one soon for use on a 93 I am building.

Jerry, I'm sure you will like Rod's handle, I think he's probably a better weldor than I. There is nothing better than doing it yourself though, well, unless you can afford to have one of the masters do one for you.

Thanks Z , it looks like it is flatter - farther out. When ya do the 93, please post a pic as I am very interrested in how it comes out, Got one I would consider modifying.. If ya don't wanna post it just drop a PM... Thanks again... MV

Well chicken head feet or whatever you need to have someone weld it with a A/O or tig it for you then you can profile as you wish. Here is a few of some i have done I am sure Z can post a bunch more of nice looking ones he has done!

Rod

[attachmentid=22][[attachmentid=24][attachmentid=23]

What kind of stock is that? (the non-laminated one) I have one very similar on an old sporter that I’m trying to identify.

Kenny

Z1R Will coat hanger rods for welding rust blue OK?

That's the $64 question? I use Tartan Tig because it does blue evenly. It's even pricier than the Brownells 3.5% nickle rod. It is also hardenable. For the small stuff I use a thin mig wire.

I can't say since I've never used it but I was talking to a well known smith the other day about welding up holes in G&H bases and he mentioned using coat hanger. It must blue since the nases are always blued.

Find a rod that works and stick with it.

I've tried several types of hangers for welding various things includinge bolt. I never found a kind that really worked well. I bought a pound of the Brownells rod and have been happily using it for everything since. I'm going to have to order some more pretty soon.

The downside of the Brownells rod is that if you use a flame that is acetlylene rich, the added material tends to be too hard to file.