Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Switch Barrel

~DEVO~

Hello all,

I was wondering if antone here in the forum has ever heard of a mauser switch barrel rifle? I figured it would be an interesting build. It is my understanding that Savage owners are converting thier rifles to various calibers due to the locking "ring" that is used the tighten the barrel to the action. I wonder if there is a gunsmith with the knowledge to build a mauser switch barrel rifle?

One could meke a switch barrel Mauser just as easily as one makes a switch barrel Sav 110.

The Savage guy would have to have a barrel vise and a barrel nut wrench.

The Mauser guy would have to have a barrel vise and an action wrench.

That would be about the same amount of money and about the same amount of time.

Were you thinking of this guy's post?

post about 30 years of barrel switching

Remember the Mauser is CRF and that the feed rails will not work across as great a selection of cartridges as push feed. If you open the rails to feed the .308 class of cases, they may not work for the X57 for example. I'm just rambling, so if someone can prove me wrong, please do so. LL

Limpid lizard is right about cartridge selection. If you do this it would be best to stick to a Family of cartridges like the 6mm Rem, 7x57, 257 Bob. Or 25-06, 270, .30-06, 35 Whelen because to get the best feeding the rails & magazine should be fitted to each case.

308 would be 243, 7-08, 260, 25 Souper

8mm would be 6mm/244 Rem, 7X57, 257 Roberts

If you compare a case from each group, you will see a significant difference in body taper. If the rails are opened for the 8mm series of cases, the 308's may bind. The converse is that if the rails are opened for the 308 series, there may not be enough rail to hold the 8mm series cases well enough to load. LL

Here's a practical trio that will be easy to get to feed:

257 Roberts

8x57

9x57

They're all based on the same case and they're all spaced far enough from eachother so you won't have a lot of overlap in terms of utility.

I am told Talley scope mounts, when hand lapped, offer excellent repeatability when removing/replacing scopes.

Make up a padded, lockable, aluminum travel case that will hold a scoped rifle, two barrels, and two scopes and you'll be set to hunt anywhere in the world!

I personally would rather have several rifles that I didn't take apart. Then I could shoot more than one at the range. Also there would be fewer variables, opportunities for less than desireable results. I don't mean to poop on your parade. It would be hard to let one of my children or a friend use a barrel to hunt/shoot with. I am also the guy that doesn't get QD sling swivels, I never remove a sling. I guess that is all part of the fun of messing with guns. We all do as we are so inclined. Different minds don't necessarily think alike.

You know, the 8x57 and 7x57 based cases are different. The .257 and 6mm Rem are derived from the 7x57 while the 8x57 and 9.3x57 share the same case. The differences are slight but can and often do contribute to feeding issues.

The switch barrel idea is a neat one but one that looks much better on paper than it does in reality. If you lived in a locale where the number of firearms you were allowed to own was restricted then I could see the appeal of a switch barrel. The better ones are like the blazer and TC where the scope mounts to the barrel.

Like Jimro said, the .308 is one of those that often works without and glitches or mods but often it does not and requires some work then when completed may not allow th 8x57 to feed properly.

Me, I'd rather just have several guns. I'm more of a use the proper tool for the task kinda guy. Those multi purpose tools are always a compromise.

Seems like the main issue is the feeding of the rounds. Hmmm? Maybe, you can restrict yourself to two rounds in the rifle for hunting purposes (I never have taken more than two shots to kill an animal). Redesign a custom mag follower per caliber to help with feeding of over gapped feed rails? I would love to have more firearms in my collection, but I feel this would be a fun project and diverse rifle. If worst comes to worst, I will stay with one caliber but switch from a heavy barrel to a sporter barrel, 16" to a 26", etc...

I've been toying with an idea for several years , but have never acted on it. I call it a " Switch Action" rifle. This rifle would be based on 3 identical Mauser pattern actions barrelled in 3 calibers, using a common bolt, stock, bottom metal and scope. One would only need to remove the two action screws to remove one barreled action and exchange for another. This would eliminate the need for special tools.

If I were to build it I think I would choose 3, 24/47 actions and barrel with 6mm Rem., 7x57 and 8x57. These calibers would cover any North American hunting situation one is likely to encounter. My experience has been that 8x57 actions will function well with 7x57 parent cases ok, but the converse is not necessarily true. I would spend my money on one premium synthetic stock and steel bed each action to the stock rather than the stock to the action. This would be particularly important in the recoil lug abuttment. Also, only one bolt and bottom metal unit need be customized, further reducing cost. Each action would have it's own adjustable trigger with safety. Each receiver would need to be contoured to near matching dimensions to allow consistent scope placement between receivers. CNC machining would come in handy here. Finally, I would select a high quality variable power scope to cover the range of hunting situations with each caliber - a compromise of course. A sturdy quick release mount would need to be added to compliment the scope. Careful sighting and recording of scope settings would allow the shooter to re-adjust the scope between switches to get close to zero.

Add a custom built aluminum case as previously suggested and you have a formidable compact, travel arsenal.

Don, thanks for the link, It is indexed by the forearm stock and by a plunge roller. I think the fore arm stock is bedded to the barrel?

I have seen a switch action on the 6mmBR forum, it's a good set-up. I just like the thought on spending what little movey I have on the side for multiple barrels instead of multiple actions.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard that it's possible to have a 30-06 and a 30-338 switch barrel?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard that it's possible to have a 30-06 and a 30-338 switch barrel?

Not without two seperate bolts. One with a standatd boltface the other a magnum. Then of course, once you get the magnum to feed you'll likely not get the .30-06 to keep rounds from popping out.

Okay I thinkk I found a resonable combo for a switch barrel. After some looking around, it seems a Savage would be the most cost effective way to go. I could purchase a Savage chambered in 300 Win Mag for my regular hunts and when I go varmit hunting, I could switch the barrel to a 25-300 win mag. I do not need to change the bolt or open the feed rails, just change the barrel. Hopefully in the future when I have money to actual begin a conventional rifle build, I will give this switch barrel on a Mauser a shot. Thanks everyone for your input.

I know this goes a bit off what was originally asked for and I'm being a bit of a prude on this...

Inexpensive switch barrel combo, supporting multiple calibers, case head sizes and case lengths?

Light and easy to carry when stored? Requires no need to re-sight-in after barrel changes?

Try:

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=4&subcat=36

You can get a complete Handi-Rifle for under $200; I walked out the door with a synthetic-stocked model for $170 at my local dealer (nice sale). Extra rifle barrels go for $82 for blued on the web site. You can even add a shotgun barrel to the rifle reciever for $59.

The base rifle, an extra rifle barrel, and an extra shotgun barrel won't set you back more than $350. With two scopes, the entire package should fit into a briefcase-sized guncase no longer than 24" (with 22" barrels). That's portability. And no funky tools to change out barrels; all that is needed is a stubby phillips-head screwdriver to remove the forearm.

I have never read a negative review on the Handi-Rifle. The trigger is very good, and you can't get any simpler in operation. You can't get any more compact, save a bull-pup design. The handling and carry characteristicts are sheer joy. A setup with .223 Rem, 30'06, and a 12 guage barrel would be more than adequate for anything on the Continent.

I know that this forum is about overcoming challenges and creativity, but sometimes there are simpler solutions...

I don't have any experience with the rifle version but, I've seen a lot of the H&R and NEF shotguns that get real loose after a while.