Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bolt Gun Guy Buys An Sks

911rat

I generally consider myself a bolt gun kinda guy.

I had planned on turning one of my Mauser actions into a 7.62x39 plinking gun. I kept looking at the expense and headache involved and asked myself if it was worth it over and over.

Well I picked up a Yugo 59/66A1 for $100. Blue is about 90%, bright bore, only one dent in the stock, needs a good cleaning. I couldn't resist. An M44 followed me home in the same fashion about a year or so ago.

Dumb question, Anyone else find themselves bringing things home they didn't really plan to?

Sure have,and she turned out to be a good cook to boot.I think what your talking about is what women do for recreation,called shopping.I know most dudes drive up to a store and know what they're going in there for,get it,and get out.Women cruise the isles picking up everything in the store,and sometimes run across a bargin.I went into the new Cabelas here at Fort Worth,just to look around,and walked out with a $600.00 Ranger Arms .270 Magnum Hunter rifle.My wife was with me and insisted I get it 'cause she could tell how excited I was when I found it.Jerry

Yeah, me too! I stopped at a local country store for a soft drink about 3 weeks ago. There was no one else around and the owner offered me a 99.9% MAK-90 at a fair price. No, it's not hot or anything. The guy was selling off a few personal guns and he's perfectly legit. I have been toying with the idea of having an "assault rifle" for quite awhile if no other reason than it's what the "anti's" always pick on. So this one followed me home and now I GET to feed it! Nobody locally has any ammo so I ordered from Sportsman's Guide. They didn't have any cheap stuff either but they accepted the order as a backorder. A couple of days later I stopped into a gun shop looking for ammo and found a Colt Frontier Scout .22/.22WMR unfired in the box w/ all the papers. Guess what? Another one followed me home. I'll have to stop looking for awhile, now. The kitty's depleted. So, yeah, I feel your "pain"! BTW, the guy who sold me the MAK said to check out Classicarms.com. I did and ya'll might enjoy it too. Lots of cool stuff and even some good jokes.

• 2 weeks later...

As a fellow bolt action guy I too waited a while before getting a SKS. My neighbor bought one and I thought it was sorta ugly. But when I read the ad from Dunhams offering them for $100 how could I turn that down? What other semi auto military carbine are you gonna find at that price?

• 3 years later...

I've had a russian made sks since the early nineties. I dont hunt with it anymore but its a fine rifle for what it is for. It has NEVER jammed and I have shot more rounds through it than the vietnamese army. LOL But it was bought on a whim of my dad who found 5 of them for a great price. Next thing ya know me and my brothers had a sks. It will never take the place of my pre 64 model 70 or my 98 mauser but it serves its purpose well.

• 2 weeks later...

"I like the SKS.

Had one since the 90's and am building one as I can find the parts, the price on parts has gone up more than the stock market, a good rifle.

Jerry, please have your wife talk to the Hippy, she keeps telling me that I have enough "guns" : )

karl