Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Opinions ...

NCShooter

I have come upon an opportunity to acquire a M38 arisaka. The problem is, I have no idea

what to offer for it, and the person selling has no Idea either.

There are a very few out there, but not in the same configuration as this one.

This one has no MUM. The butstock is cracked from the wrist back.

There is a big hunk taken from the left side, just under the rear site.

It is non matching.

It was covered with surface rust, which cleaned up really nice.

But, there was two good spots of rust in the barrel, after a brisk cleaning, the barrel

now shines, but is pitted in the two spots.

The only ones that I could locate for sale, had the mum and was in really nice condition.

I know that Riceone is an Arisaka afficenauto (sorry about the spelling). And thought

that someone may give me an idea what to offer.

I don't want to rip this person off, but at the same time I do not want to be taken either.

I have pictures, but I am not very good with the camera yet....

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/NCShooter_2006/ (just scroll down the page)

Thanks in advance for your help.

The butstock is cracked from the wrist back.

The crack is normal. The two pieces of wood are fit together with a tongue and groove. Is the bore chrome lined, are the sight wings still attached and does it have a dust cover??

I am no expert, but this appears to be a type 38 Carbine. Type 38 rifles are relatively common, but carbines are not, based on my limited exposure. The gun appears to be in pretty good overall condition, but there is one question that I can't resolve from your photos: Has the bolt been turned down? The Type 38's were produced with straight bolt handles. The photos are inconclusive, but it looks from at least one angle like it has been bent.

In original, unaltered condition, this rifle would probably bring $200 +/- from a collector. The ground Mum is, unfortunately, more the rule than the exception. An intact mum enhances the value rather than a ground mum detracting from it.

Overall, from a friend, I would say a fair price would be $150-250 if the gun is unaltered. The bolt being bent would reduce the value to $75-100 if that is the case.

My opinion only. I only have two Arisakas myself.

Clemson

The pitted bore also effect it's value. The mum and sight wings make up for it. The rifle was obviously neglected for a long period of time if a chrome bore is pitted. A dark grey bore would be normal for battlefeild use and it's age. The piece missing from the stock also detracts from it's value but I know gun show sellers that would use it to their advantage. They would tag a BS story how their father did it with his bayonet in h&h combat. If there are any stains one could claim it as blood from the bayonet wound. The younger the potential buyer, the taller the tale gets. It is still a shootable war trophy and a good investment. I would offer 150 and go as high as 175 if I really wanted it. Possibly go to 200 considering, what's 25 bux among friends. Personally I would rather remain friends more than part with 25 dollars. 10-15 years from now you might sell it for alot more and could possibly create some hard feelings if you make a large profit. If I was buying it as possible trading material I would start at 75 and maybe go to 125 only because I could with parts I have make it look original and turn a fast hundred or better. If the bolt is bent knock off another 35-40.

Sorry when I wrote the above I mistakenly assumed the mum was intact.

I was thinking around 100 to 125, but wasn't sure. I didn't

want rip this guy off. By the way, the handle has not been bent. I thought

it was in pretty good shape overall, but it seems that finding a new stock may be

a long hard process.

Thanks for your help.

I think I'm going to enjoy my new toy......

...it seems that finding a new stock may be

a long hard process. ......

I honestly didn't think that the stock on the rifle looked too bad. For a carbine, which is much less common than the rifles, your price is fair -- actually excellent, and whatever stock issues their are were earned in battle. I think I would leave it as-is. Do enjoy the rifle. I got into Arisakas with a pawn shop acquisition. Now I look at the rifles a little differently than before.

By the way, your sight does not have "wings." What AR is referring to is the anti-aircraft sight for a Type 99. None of the 6.5 mm rifles were made with anti-aircraft sights.

Enjoy. I think you are getting a great carbine.

Clemson

That is one of the early 38 carbine and looks pretty good to me. The finish on the stock looks original, the metal finish is very good and it has a cleaning rod. If it had the mum, was matching that would be at least a $400 rifle. As someone else said I'd go $200 to $250. The bolt does not appear to be bent. Carbines are hard to find in decent shape. riceone.