Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Advise/z1r

spec4 e4

Ok, I am almost home from an two week run out west and back to the east coast. My wife informed me that she had bought an wheeler d&t fixture, taken my barrel to an machine shop and lap the lugs and bolt face on three of my action. God, I have an great wife. biggrin.gif , yes she has an sister, but you don't want her, unless you are an sucker and 1/2. laugh.gif

Questions:

When drilling and tapping for an scope mount base on an yugo m48, I was told to use the #2 plate for the rear. Is this right? Some one said that if I am using an two pcs scope mount, I need the #2 plate because I can move it foward more.

How many receiver can I do with the drill and tap bite that is given with kit, provide that I do not brake them?

where can I drill on the front ring, in front of the bolt lug shoulder?

Thanks

spec.4

spec4 e4,

assuming the Wheeler is built like the B-square, it should have a positioning pin on the forward half of the Mauser guide. This pin goes up against the rear of the front ring, thereby positioning the front holes in their proper places.

On my B-square jig, the Springfield guide has 2 pins, one in front and one in back. I tapped those up and out of the way to allow the jig to be adjusted forward and rearward.

I will try to include a photo showing the Springfield guide in position with both pins tapped up and out of the way. Just imagine your Mauser guide in this same position with the pin in its proper postition against the front ringuser posted image

Guest Guest

I like to use a fresh drill and a fresh tap for each receiver that I drill. You might be able to get more than one out of a set, but why risk it? Buy a ten-pack from Brownells.

Clemson

Spec4,

I can't really answer the D&T jig question since I don;t use one. But, as for front ring placement, the rear hole should be .500" in front of the rear edge of the receiver ring. That will put the hole in the midle of the lug recess.

The drills I use on one or two receivers but the Tap, while I've used them on as many as six receivers, I replace them now after each receiver. They are too cheap to risk breaking one in a receiver. Most important thang is to keep the tap straight up and down and clear the chips frequently they will last this way. And, even if you replace them after each receiver they will be less likely to break if you follow those rules.

By the way, great wife! You are a rich man!

Thanks Z1R, I will keep that in mind when doing the receiver. And thanks everyone for your impt.

Wife told me that she also stop by Dick's and pick up three set of weaver scope mount 45 and 46, and stop at the auto store and pick up the anti-seize lubricant. She also stop by the gun shop and was told that my smith has pass away about three months ago. She want to know if he can help me with the barrel and bolt handles. I know that he was going to die, but something else took, an blood clot busted in is brain. sad.gif He had help me out many time even when I did not have the cash to pay him, he knew that I was good for it. My wife told me that he wife is selling ofs his tools and was told to have me call her about his lathe and mill.

I guess I do that first thing Monday morning.

spec.4