Military Firearm Restoration Corner

223 Project Update

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Got the barrel threaded, charging hump removed, D&T, trigger installed.

Rod (Tanglewood) is working on the bolt that I will be using. I stole this one off one of my others for picture purposes.

For those who aren't familiar with the project, I decided to build a 223 Mauser. The barrel is a Remington takeoff re-threaded for a K. Kale receiver, Bold trigger, Timney safety, Ruger Mini-14 magazines 5, 10, and 20 round. The stock is from Boyds and still needs to be finished.

That's a very nice looking rifle. I was wondering:

1. How are you fitting the Ruger magazine to the Mauser action?

2. How are you addressing the bolt face size difference?

3. How are you addressing the extracter and ejecter difference?

It's a very interesting project. I have thought about something like this myself. Seems that the 98 action is big and overkill for such a small cartridge but it is something different and I like it. I don't usually like thumbhole stocks and laminates but your rifle has changed my mind entirely. Please post more pictures when it's finished or work progresses.

The Ruger mags fit like they were made for it. I made a plastic block to fit in front of the mag to keep it from rocking. The mags stay in by friction fit. They remove easily but hold in place when loaded.

Rod (Tanglewood) welded around the face of a bolt which I will mill out to the proper size. I got a blank extractor that I will need to work down to the correct size. I think the ejector will work OK but even if it doesn't I usually prefer to remove the shells myself rather than chasing down a PD hole after them.

Pretty nice looking rifle!

I would assume since you ground off the stripper-clip hump, you're planning to mount a scope over the action (or you just like the smooth look, I guess). Have you considered building it with a scout scope mounted in front of the receiver? That rifle looks like it would make a helluva pseudo-scout. It might make it easier to extract the rounds by hand, too.

I wonder how hard it would be to weld up and fabricate a magwell that would actually lock the Mini-14 mags solidly. Also, how well do the rounds feed from the rear like that, and does the mag need to be inserted back so far to the rear (I'm guessing the answer is "yes" since you mentioned a friction fit).

Cool project! Keep it up, and keep us posted!

-Nathan

• 2 months later...

Got the bolt back from Tanglewood (nice). He welded around the bolt face and forged the handle. A friend has a mill and helped me rework the bolt face to fit the 223 case head. I got the extractor claw whittled down pretty close to where it needs to be. It will grab and hold the case. As soon as I can get a 223 reamer and get it reamed, I can do some fine tuning.

I need to figure out how to get my camera to take good closeups then I will post pictures of the bolt mods.

You guys absolutely amaze me after viewing some of the projects in the group. My guess is somebody said impossible and you made him eat crow. I'll be anxious to hear how the friction fit holds under recoil. If it works and works well, you might be onto something and should consider marketing it, in some kind of kit form. Saying "nice job" is simply an understatement.

IPB Image

IPB Image

These turned out better than I thought.

Top picture shows a regular 98 bolt face compared to the modified 223 bolt face and extractor on the right.

I may need to do some more tweaking after I get the chamber reamed.

The bottom picture shows the beautiful forging job by Rod (Tanglewood).

Rumor has it someone is joining our reamer coop with a 223 reamer so I'm trying to wait patiently.

If you are like me, you will be hooked.

Bring at least 100 rounds of ammo for each day, preferably 200 rounds. It is a good idea to bring a couple guns so one can cool off while you continue shooting.

Figure out a good way to shoot. Prone works well of you aren't built like me. A portable bench works fine but you aren't as mobile. Once you figure out how you will shoot practice that way.

Figure out a good way to shoot. Prone works well of you aren't built like me. A portable bench works fine but you aren't as mobile.

Some friends of mine stopped at the local K-mart as soon as they got to their PD hunting destination a nd bought cheap folding lawn chairs and equally cheap ironing boards. They toted this arrangement to the dog town each day. They donated the chairs and ironing boards to the Indians that guided them at the end of the trip.

Clemson