Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M48 W/ Bad Shroud?

Racepres

Got my [club] stock notched for the bolt on my M48 in 308 project. So I took 'er out to shoot it today. The bolt seemed to close w/ a bit more effort than I recalled!! And it really opened hard. Not like a hot load, as the initial lift was OK to the point just before "release". In retrospect this is a point at which the cocking is complete. Troubled me some , but it shot real good,[2 inches] and cases measured very normal in all respects, so I put a few [10] rounds thru it. Got to checking things out, and the thing was gettin even tougher to close, w/o a round in it... Yep some galling. Seems that the shroud has a problem w/ fitment to the rear of the bolt. Slipped one off my vz24 onto it, and all is way better than good!! Put the M48 shroud onto the vz 24... ouch no I didn't. won't even screw on that bolt. Will sort of screw onto my shooter k98 bolt but, I guess I am gonna get a different shroud... Anyone ever have something like this before?? Sorry so long.. Some stuff just baffles me!! MV

BTW simply screwing the shroud on the bolt does not exhibit the problem... Doesn't appear till it is assembled!!!

Anyone ever have something like this before?

I am having a similar problem on a sporterized (by a previous owner) Brazilian intermediate action. I have not got into checking it out yet but the problem could be the same as yours. Some lapping compound in the appropriate area might solve the problem. Mine is difficult to close (no barrel installed) and even harder to open after dry fired. I am going to remove the firing pin spring and reassemble and try it to see if the cocking and uncocking could be the problem or if it is simply in a bind like yours.

Good luck to ya! When you have it disassembled, screw the stripped shroud on. As you know it should go on readily. Now w/ just the safety in place, when you screw mine together you can force it into a bind! Make sure of course that the safety don't get into the lock position. But Mine will bind w/ just a [tried 3-4] safety in place!! Yea I might stone it a little, but this shroud don't look all that good anyway, a bit pitted, Heck maybe there is a darn pit down in the bowels that I can't see!! MV

If anyone has one of these shrouds that is too large to screw into a bolt, I want it! I need one to fix a problem I have.

Tight fitting shrouds can be caused by either poor thread fit, interference between the bolt body and the shroud, or both. Lapping is a good way to fix. Just be sure where the interference is first. Don;t just start lapping. You can make things worse. There are other issues that can cause hard bolt lift but it would take too long to cover.

If anyone has one of these shrouds that is too large to screw into a bolt, I want it! I need one to fix a problem I have.

Tight fitting shrouds can be caused by either poor thread fit, interference between the bolt body and the shroud, or both. Lapping is a good way to fix. Just be sure where the interference is first. Don;t just start lapping. You can make things worse. There are other issues that can cause hard bolt lift but it would take too long to cover.

Out of all my shrouds, I have 3 that won't thread all the way into a 1909 argie bolt. But they will thread into a czech bolt. What to try one?

-Don

BTW simply screwing the shroud on the bolt does not exhibit the problem... Doesn't appear till it is assembled!!!

How tight does the cocking piece fit into the shroud? I had a weird one once that was over sized.

-Don

How tight does the cocking piece fit into the shroud? I had a weird one once that was over sized.

-Don

Looked that over pretty good, did use a different cocking piece, but not over the size of it, rather because the "ramps" seemed battered slightly, and rather than smooth it , I felt that it was soft and put in another. By marking w/ felt tip [my diechem blue substitute] found the interference was between the back of the bolt OD and the "inlet" of the shroud ID. But I can;t figger how the safety [several actually] influences fit?? So This one goes in the parts bin w/ a tag and the M48 sports a 98K shroud that works real well! MV

Looked that over pretty good, did use a different cocking piece, but not over the size of it, rather because the "ramps" seemed battered slightly, and rather than smooth it , I felt that it was soft and put in another. By marking w/ felt tip [my diechem blue substitute] found the interference was between the back of the bolt OD and the "inlet" of the shroud ID. But I can;t figger how the safety [several actually] influences fit?? So This one goes in the parts bin w/ a tag and the M48 sports a 98K shroud that works real well! MV

I'd fit the shroud to the bolt first and get everything working great before adding the safety. It makes it easier to find where the clearance problems are. But as long as everything is working now all is well. Sometime it's easier to swap parts around and the outcome is the same.

-Don

I bought a few bolt shrouds from Century a few years ago, "German M98 Parts". Received mostly Turk and Yugo parts, but, Century actually replaced them for me (unfortunately with the same kind of parts). Most wouldn't screw into a German or Czech bolt with both parts completely stripped. Shrouds are quite cheap and easily replaced, just be certain what you're getting by checking gauging stamps or acceptance stamps - Czech or German marks only!

Stuborn like me? Willing to spend a day's labor figuring out what's wrong with a $5 part? OK, worst senerio is shroud won't screw into bolt with both pieces stripped - lapp it in. Next, replace safety and see if bolt rotation is stiff or worse. The tip of the safety has a curved cut on it's underside which allows the rear of the bolt surface to rotate beneath this cut during cocking, firing and ejecting. Marker die the entire tip of the safety, reassemble in stripped shroud and screw into stripped bolt. Rotate bolt as far as possible, disassemble and remove safety from shroud looking for rub marks in the curved cut (especially the edges), or, on the face of the tip.

Bright wear marks may indicate that the curve cut is too shallow and is wedging against the bolt, or that the safety stem is a little long and is binding against the rear face of the bolt if marked on the face of it's tip, a little dremel will fix these problems. Keep at it until smooth rotation is achieved, have a victory beer and keep going. Re-ink these parts and try rotating safety with the bolt in the closed position, back to the victory beer if all goes smoothly, or cussing if not, and more lapping of exterior diameter of safety tip is required.

Next assemble the lapped bolt shroud w/safety, firing pin assembly, and stripped bolt body into the receiver to test for roughness during functioning. You may have to throw the beer on the floor and go back to lapping. Cussing sometimes makes the lapping seem to go faster.

Next, disassemble all the bolt shroud parts, and insert the bolt lock pin and it's spring into the face of the bolt shroud. Screw this into the rear of the stripped bolt and reinsert into the action. If the bolt lift is rough when locking or on initial opening, the locking pin face may be worn short and binding against the rear of the bolt. Steve Wagner's site has a great pictorial fix for this. When smoothed up, grab a victory beer, reassemble all the bolt shroud parts and firing pin assembly into the stripped bolt and insert into the receiver, rotating for smoothness. If not smooth throw the victory beer on the floor, cry out for your birth mother (or your replacment mother - your wife).

Suddenly you have an epitheny! This is why these parts were serially numbered at the manufacturing source. Maybe there's something to the thought that "drop in" replacment parts really are a myth fostered by someone more interested in your money than your satisfaction. When you recover, you realize that the extractor and the ecector blade should get the same treatment - in fact the receiver should be "trued" up also. Take a long nap then take everone out to dinner (so they'll remember who you are) and wait for next weekend to start again.

Next time we can start by selecting a window through which we can throw a uncooperative bolt or receiver. This will avoid an impulsive Hail Mary pass through a window facing directly into a rain storm on a Sunday on which you can't find replacment glass for the broken interior and storm windows as the room slowly begins to floor despite the shreiking of your wife as she attempts to hold back the water by nailing your body across the opening in the broken glass. This is one of those lessons better learned from a scarred and grizzled husband than from personal experience. Bill

bilurey: There is waaaayy too much truth in the last reply!! Good stuff tho , and appreciated. Sometime when I am flush w/ beer money, I will attempt to fit said shroud to another bolt, Maybe, Then again, hopefully someone needs a "stock" yugo bolt w/ shroud, that I think deserve each other!! Thanks for the information as I will most certainly need it! MV