Military Firearm Restoration Corner

93m Barrel Help

skeeter2859

Having problems getting the barrel on my 93 action. I would say the barrel was a 30-06 take off set back and chambered for .300Sav.. I was told it was threaded for a SR. but I can't get it on my action. It will thread down till the last 1/4 inch easy, then locks tight.

IPB Image

The book I have says "12 threads per inch, V type 55 deg. pitch". In the pic, my caliper is set for a 1/2 inch. I count 7 threads. That would mean this barrel would have 14 threads per inch.

IPB Image

I can't find anyone around that has a SR barrel I can check the action with. I have run a pick around the threads in the action. They feel good with no gunk or rough spots. I hope from the pics someone can tell me if this barrel will work.....Thanks for any advise.

Having problems getting the barrel on my 93 action. I would say the barrel was a 30-06 take off set back and chambered for .300Sav.. I was told it was threaded for a SR. but I can't get it on my action. It will thread down till the last 1/4 inch easy, then locks tight.

IPB Image

The book I have says "12 threads per inch, V type 55 deg. pitch". In the pic, my caliper is set for a 1/2 inch. I count 7 threads. That would mean this barrel would have 14 threads per inch.

IPB Image

I can't find anyone around that has a SR barrel I can check the action with. I have run a pick around the threads in the action. They feel good with no gunk or rough spots. I hope from the pics someone can tell me if this barrel will work.....Thanks for any advise.

Sounds like someone used the wrong gears when threading. Can you bring tha action to whoever threaded the barrel?

-Don

I'm just going to throw out some thoughts.

Counting threads can be hard since they spiral, that's why they make thread pitch guages.

I got a thread pich guage when I bought my 105 piece Craftsman tool set.

If you don't have a thread pitch guage, you should be able to take ANY other Mauser

barrel ( large or small ring) and the threads should mesh if you put them together.

The last A&B barrel that I tried to mount was much like you describe.

I'm thinking it's possible that the barrel shank is just slightly oversized for your

action. Have you considered the 'valve grinding compound trick' ?

Where you coat the threads with valve grinding compound and 'work' them together.

That is what I did with the A&B barrel.

Hope something I said helps!

Tinker

I used the grinding compound 2 times on A&B baerrel and it worked great.Just put some compound on the barrel threads,screw the barrel on by hand until it seizes up back it out a little and do it again for a few times,then take it all the way out and put some more compound on it and do it again.fritz told me about this a couple 3 years ago and it's one of the best and simpliest tricks I've learned.Jerry

The primary cause of this problem, barring of course wrong thread pitch, is that the receiver is cut for 55 degree threads and the barrel for 60 degree.

Are you using a barrel vise and action wrench? The pull-up you show is about normal for a replacement barrel before using some leverage to seat it. z1r is correct about the cause, and one cure is a cheater on the action wrench!

Clemson

have homemade vise and wrench that works very well. Didn't want to add cheater, it just felt to tight. I didn't compound it all the way down. I left about 3/4 of a turn to snug up. The rifle is turning out to be nice and light. The barrel is only 21 inches long but fat and makes the gun feel nose heavy. I want to thin it some.

Thanks again for the help. I am a custom wood worker by trade but am learning the metal work. My dad used to be very good at gunsmithing. He is 72 and not much help now. I will have to take a few pics of his work sometime.

• 3 weeks later...

To check the tpi if you don't have a thread pitch gauge start barrel in action measure the distance between action and sholder of barrel screw barrel exactly one full turn and remeasure the diffrence. It should come up with 1/12". Also the major diamater of the thread might be a little to big, as their not all the same exact size. threading it deeper by .003-.006" can make a big diffrence.