Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Headspace And Setback

trobi

I have a 98/29 that I'm going to rebarrel. I've been seeing different post about setback.

1) How do you determine if you have or getting setback?

2) Will shooting low pressure rounds help?

I don't go to the range often but when I do I'll generally shoot 60-80 rds. I'm thinking about chambering for either 6.5x55, 257, or possibly 243. I want somethig with mild recoil but still has good balistic in case I want to hunt Bambi.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but I'm looking at possible problems, and trying to avoid them.

Thanks, kingsman

OPERA NON VERBA

[Edited due to multiple spelling and grammatical errors.]

While nothing is certain, the 98/29 persian mausers where produced at a time (1930"s) when quality control was very good.

Czech receivers are rountinely used for magnum sporter projects

If the rifle is in original condition and has a matching serial numbered bolt I would say headspace would be good.

Buy some headspace gauges and strip the bolt if it headspaces okay then you probably dont have any setback either

If you're going to rechamber then it matters not what the current headspace is. What does matter is whether setback is present. When you pull the barrel, inspect the lug seats for pocketing.

If you'r visual inspection is still unclear, but some layout die on the rear of the rear locking lug and close the bolt and open it a few times. If the layout die is rubbing off you probubly have some setback in the front locking lugs.

how neccessary is it to lap the bolt lugs? i have the original bolt but may use a diff. one. it depends on how i like the bolt handle when i get it.

if i do lap the lugs

1) is there info on the proper procedure and

2)how do you determine if the bolt and reciever need to be heat treated?

how neccessary is it to lap the bolt lugs? i have the original bolt but may use a diff. one. it depends on how i like the bolt handle when i get it.

if i do lap the lugs

1) is there info on the proper procedure and

2)how do you determine if the bolt and reciever need to be heat treated?

If you have setback and correct it you need to have the receiver & bolt heat treated by a mauser expert.

best bet is to use the bolt that came with receiver assuming it matches or has been fired in it for some time. it will be well mated to the lug seats. Personally, I don't lap lugs on mausers unless I have them carburised afterward.

best bet is to use the bolt that came with receiver assuming it matches or has been fired in it for some time. it will be well mated to the lug seats. Personally, I don't lap lugs on mausers unless I have them carburised afterward.

Is carburising something you do yourself or do you send it out to be done?

If you have setback and correct it you need to have the receiver & bolt heat treated by a mauser expert.

Not something you do at home.

Z tell the the truth you just spray gumout carb cleaner on it and bake in 500 degree oven for a hour and repete 12 times.

JUST KIDDING NEEDS SENT OUT

550 and it needs to be turned at least once. Don't baste it though, it will get tough & chewy.