Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1891 Shank Length

Doble Troble

Guys,

I'm now the happy owner of a 1891 Argie Mauser action that I've decided to put a 7 x 57 barrel on. The barrel is large ring and so I'm going to have to turn it down and rethread. What I don't know is how long to make the barrel shank. It looks like about 0.685" from the rim of the receiver to the rim of the bolt when in battery. Should I try for a thou or two less than this? What were the original 91 barrel shanks?

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

As an aside, this is an amazing piece of machinery. As old as it is everything is tight and every surface is nicely finished. There's also a direct conduit between the bolt face and the eyeball of the shooter. I see why gas venting became such a concern later. I'll be super careful to use good brass and reasonable loads.

Guys,

I'm now the happy owner of a 1891 Argie Mauser action that I've decided to put a 7 x 57 barrel on. The barrel is large ring and so I'm going to have to turn it down and rethread. What I don't know is how long to make the barrel shank. It looks like about 0.685" from the rim of the receiver to the rim of the bolt when in battery. Should I try for a thou or two less than this? What were the original 91 barrel shanks?

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

As an aside, this is an amazing piece of machinery. As old as it is everything is tight and every surface is nicely finished. There's also a direct conduit between the bolt face and the eyeball of the shooter. I see why gas venting became such a concern later. I'll be super careful to use good brass and reasonable loads.

Nominally .675 I believe. Allow clearance for the extractor.

I'd set the clearence at about .008-.o12" you want room for expantion between bolt and breech of barrel when heeted up. Not being fam. with the paticular action you may need to make an extractor cut? if soo same thing for it you need a little room for it to grow when heeted up durring fireing.

I'd set the clearence at about .008-.o12" you want room for expantion between bolt and breech of barrel when heeted up. Not being fam. with the paticular action you may need to make an extractor cut? if soo same thing for it you need a little room for it to grow when heeted up durring fireing.

Nominal is actually longer .735" or .745" but I never go by that. Measure to the point that is closest to the front fing, then subtract .005" from that for clearance. .002" of that will be taken up by crush and you will have approx .003" clearance.

If your action heats up enough to cause .012" expansion you got problems.