Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lathe Question

scott63

I have decided to look for a used lathe as I should be able to afford a larger one that is used, however, I have no idea how big is big enough or too big. From what I've been reading I should try to find one that has fairly low RPM ability, rather than worrying about the top end RPM. What min/max distance between centers should I be looking for?

I like the idea of the lathe/mill combo a lot, but I'm a little discouraged by what I have read about them.

Thanks for your help.....................Scott

something to look for on a lathe .you"ll need a least 36" between centers and 1 1/8" hole in chuck with a low speed of 50 to 70rpm..the tooling adds up fast..... when asking about the cost of a used lathe all ways check out what tools come with it ....boring bars,live dogs, faceplates..taper chucks....a good list of tools will cost

1/2 the price of the lathe

something to look for on a lathe .you"ll need a least 36" between centers and 1 1/8" hole in chuck with a low speed of 50 to 70rpm..the tooling adds up fast..... when asking about the cost of a used lathe all ways check out what tools come with it ....boring bars,live dogs, faceplates..taper chucks....a good list of tools will cost

1/2 the price of the lathe

Thanks guys, this is exactly the info I was looking for.....Scott

My 9x24 southbend is about the smallest you'd ever want to consider, as I'm not always able to get thicker barrels in the headstock. You'll want a quick change gear box for cutting threads, a steady rest for chambering, and a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, as basic tooling. A set of collets and closer, milling attachment is always a plus. I'd like to have a 10" or 13"southbend myself.

I have had a 13 x 40 South Bend for a little over a year now, and I can't think of a better gunsmithing lathe. The spindle bore is large enough to take 5C collets, and those are handier than you can imagine for general gun work. I chamber in the steady rest, but the spindle is large enough to accept a barrel, and I have a spider for the rear of the spindle if I ever do one that way. Overall, I have been very pleased. You can expect to pay about the same for a used South Bend as you would for a new import. The note about tooling is on target, too. The lathe is only the tip of the iceberg!

Good luck!

Clemson