Military Firearm Restoration Corner

7x57 Turk

ken98k

I test fired my newly completed k-kale today and what a sweet shooter it is.

I fired 3 rounds of FED175 grain SP with a string, checking the brass and rifle for any signs of problems after each shot. (NONE)

I then fired 2 from the shoulder just for GP, as I don't have a scope mounted.

It functioned flawlessly!

Having never fired a 7mm before I didn't really know what to be expect.

My first thought was this would be a great rifle for a woman, very mild recoil and even milder report.

Unless I come up with something dramatically better before hunting season, this will be my rifle of choice this year, and I have many to choose from.

post-200-1169951773_thumb.jpg

Way to go Kenny! Good looking thunderstick you've built.Did you jewel the bolt and what's the story on the stock? 6.5x55,7x57,and .308 are my very favorite calibers,and not nessesarily in that order, 'cause it's a toss up.You really made a purse from a sows ear and orta be proud.Jerry

Way to go Kenny! Good looking thunderstick you've built.Did you jewel the bolt and what's the story on the stock? 6.5x55,7x57,and .308 are my very favorite calibers,and not nessesarily in that order, 'cause it's a toss up.You really made a purse from a sows ear and orta be proud.Jerry

Yes, I jeweled the bolt as well as the ejector spring.

The stock is a Fagen that came with a A&B f-34 barrel in 243 caliber. I used that barrel on another rifle.

Kenny

What jeweling jig do you have Kenny? Jerry

I used a Wheeler jewelering setup this time.

It works but it's a little on the chintsy side though.

I've found some of Wheeler's products to be very good quality but this isn't one of them.

Kenny

I used a Wheeler jewelering setup this time.

It works but it's a little on the chintsy side though.

I've found some of Wheeler's products to be very good quality but this isn't one of them.

Kenny

The b-square one is the same way. I'm think of using the indexing jig I use for surface grinding receivers next time I do a bolt. But it's probably an overkill.

-Don