Military Firearm Restoration Corner

A&B Barrel questions

z1r

Since some of you use A&B barrels I was hoping you could answer a question for me. I have a fajen stock on hand that was cut for the f14 contour. A buddy wants to buy it from me to use with an f34 barrel. He doesn't have the barrel yet so we can't get any real dimensions to compare to. Any of you have both that you can compare? I know the A&B barrel conours are very unlike any others so the stock will usually have a big gap just ahead of or at the chamber. I'm wondering if the f34 is roughly the same as or slightly bigger than the f14 for anout the first three to four inches. If so, I can sell him the stock for use with an f34 barrel.

Thanks,

Z

Okay, z1r, hope this works.

Measurements taken from start of threads, not end of chamber. I only had a mounted F34 barrel to work with. So, I my distance measurements are from secondary torque shoulder on both barrels.

F14 257 Roberts

1.5" Chamber length

1.15" Chamber diameter

1.5" Diameter at 1"

1.18" Diameter at 2"

1.10" Diameter at 3"

.925" Diameter at 4"

F34 22-250

.75" Chamber length

1.2" Chamber diameter

1.06" Diameter at 1"

1.14" Diameter at 2"

.930" Diameter at 3"

.86" Diameter at 4"

F14 seems to have a longer chamber, though it has a smaller diameter. I double checked with a F14 308 barrel, and they measurements seem consistant.

Guest Guest_z1r_*

Sailormilan,

thanks! So it sounds like the F34 would have a gap at the front of the chamber if dropped into an f14 barrel channel?

What a shame. Many thanks for taking the time to help out!

-Mike

Okay, z1r, hope this works.

Measurements taken from start of threads, not end of chamber.  I only had a mounted F34 barrel to work with.  So, I my distance measurements are from secondary torque shoulder on both barrels.

F14  257 Roberts                                 

1.5"                      Chamber length           

1.15"                    Chamber diameter     

1.5"                      Diameter at 1"         

1.18"                    Diameter at 2"         

1.10"                    Diameter at 3"             

.925"                    Diameter at 4"             

F34  22-250

.75"                      Chamber length     

1.2"                      Chamber diameter 

1.06"                    Diameter at 1"   

1.14"                      Diameter at 2" 

.930"                      Diameter at 3" 

.86"                        Diameter at 4"             

F14 seems to have a longer chamber, though it has a smaller diameter.  I double checked with a F14 308 barrel, and they measurements seem consistant.

1884[/snapback]

I put a finished 35Whelen barrel on one of the Midway European style stocks, that are cut for a F14 contour. It doesn't look bad. It has a defiante European look to it, long barrel, small skinny stock. Too bad Midway discontinued them. I may have to look for one of those stocks now. laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have that exact same Fajen stock (from midway with the schnabble tip), got two of them in fact the last day they were on clearance. I had ordered a f34 7mm barrel for my action, but when I just layed it in there I just couldn't see it working. To be honest, not only would the channel gap out at one point, it just didn't look right. The barrel seemed to really dominate the lines of the stock, so I went with the f14 instead. It really looks a lot better. I'll be sure to post plenty of pics when the work goes further foward.

Since some of you use A&B barrels I was hoping you could answer a question for me.  I have a fajen stock on hand that was cut for the f14 contour.  A buddy wants to buy it from me to use with an f34 barrel.  He doesn't have the barrel yet so we can't get any real dimensions to compare to.  Any of you have both that you can compare?  I know the A&B barrel conours are very unlike any others so the stock will usually have a big gap just ahead of or at the chamber.  I'm wondering if the f34 is roughly the same as or slightly bigger than the f14 for anout the first three to four inches.  If so, I can sell him the stock for use with an f34 barrel.

Thanks,

Z

1881[/snapback]

Wow. Now I can't wait. What finish did you put on the wood?