Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Crush Fit Mauser Bbl

hodgie

how do you prefer to mount a bbl on a turk. do you crush fit both shoulders even, just the inner, or just the outer? i have read opinions both ways, just wondering your preference is.

I was having a similar discussion with another board member and then later read about someone

mounting a slim barrel on a large ring action.

So I'm boiling it down to this...

Choose which ever shoulder gives you the most contact.

On a Turk that is likely going to be the 'secondary' tourque shoulder.

On a Large ring 98 with a slim barrel that may be the 'primary' tourque shoulder (C ring).

Just my thoughts.

Tinker

I cut the shank so it is .002" longer than the distance from the face of the receiver to inner "c" ring. That way when tightened the outer shoulder will just contact the receiver face.

i really appreciate your help. the reason i ask, is im finishing up my first total rebuild. ive done alot of threading for friends, ive built all my own tooling for lapping the bolt and innner shoulder, trueing the receiver etc. this is my first rebarrell. and you make the job much easier. thanx!!

kool,

Good luck and welcome. Post pics when you're done and don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone here is very helpful and all realize that there is more than one way to skin a kat!

First of all... I BELIEVE. The majority of gunsmiths (or at least those experienced with the 98 Mauser) set the barrel against the inner torque ring. There is a reason for this, and accurate, safe hunting tools are created. I believe this is probably the "proper way to mount a 98 barrel. Not knowing any better... And this has always been a question in my mind.

Why not use the receiver face? With the larger diameter of the receiver ring (vs the smaller diamer of the inner torque shoulder), wouldn't it be much like spreading the legs on a tripod to improve stability? A larger diameter help improve the rigidity, no?