Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Measurement ?

tomme boy

OK, I did some measurements today on a Turk action and I came up with these #'s and need to know what to do about these #'s.

Face of rec. to bolt on one side is .7235 on the other side of the face of the bolt it is .725

Face of rec. to C-ring is .620 all the way around.

I am going to have a Rem. barrel turned for the Turk and need to get some #'s straight.

For the #'s on the bolt, what should I use. The bolt has not had the face trued. I guessing that's where the 2 #'s are coming from. I lapped the lugs and that is it for the bolt.

I would not like to have to run the reamer into the chamber as the chamber on the barrel now is tighter than what my reamer would cut. It also has a shorter leade. I real carefully tried to slide the reamer into the chamber now and it would only go in about 1/2 way. That's why I think it has a tighter chamber. I also tried some ammo that I have loaded for another gun in the same cal. in new brass that has NOT been fired yet but set for this guns throat and it was .2 longer than the chamber on this barrel that I want to use for the Turk. Another reason that I do not want to use the reameron this unless I have to. That for the input.

the thread shank on the rem. barrel is longer than you need for the turk....and if you want the sights timed to the action...i don"t see a way out of doing some reaming to the chamber....the tight reamer may be from the pilot on the front of the reamer..

how tight is it if you insert it in the end of the barrel...just a thought

I'm with sonic. The pilot is probably oversized, common thing that why they make removable pilots. Or a throat issue, have you tried a gauge yet? Reamer vary from mfr to mfr and remington isn't know for great quality control.

-Don

As the others brought up, even after you'd face off the safety breech the shank on a Remingnton

is still longer than .62.

You are obviously using a KKhale if the shank is .62.

I don't know if you had an 03 Turk if you could make it all work since the shank on them is

more like .77 Providing your cartridge is shorter than the 8X57.

The other thought I had might be, once you've faced off the safety breech and worked out

all your headspace issues referenced to the primary torque shoulder ( C ring ) ;

you could work down one of the heavy Remingnton recoil lugs as a spacer at the secondary

torque shoulder.

One more thought....

You might just run the threads on out until the barrel tapers away.

Then you could with a .98 12tpi barrel nut ( that you've fabricated ) just do it up like a Savage.

Tinker

once i threaded my rem bbl for a turk action, i was .157 long(or there abouts, i cant quite remember), and still had to shorten another .045 to align the sight holes. but as far as the reamer goes im with the rest, sounds like the pilot is tight, it doesnt take much.

There are no sight holes. It is A PSS barrel. Or a Varmit barrel. They are the same. The barrel is a 308. And the rec. is a KKale. I dont think it is contacting the throat. It is actually touching the sides of the chamber. The HS gauge goes in the barrel no problem. It looks like I will just have to ream it.

Now, what #'s would I use for the face of rec. to the bolt as there is a differance from side to side. .7235" and .725".?Thanks guys.