Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Force Into A New Project

Picked up a Fajen stock at a gun show Saturday. It was labeled Mauser 98 and looked like Mauser inletting, was in new shape with a black plastic tip installed but not finished. The price was right so I nabbed it.

When I got home I tore apart a VZ24 with a butchered stock and realized I hadn't had this one apart before. Enough cosmoline under the stock to grease a truck. Anyway, I cleaned it off and went for a trial fit. Goona take a bit of work. Wait a minute, the screw holes don't line up. Pull apart my Sweede and, sure enough, it is for a small ring. No problem. The 94's barrel was too short to look good in the stock, so I tore apart a 93 Spanish. This thing has head space issues, so I have been thinking of using it for a project anyway. I had a Remington barrel in 300 Savage that I rethreaded for a Turk. I had planned on rechambering it for 308, but I decided to leave it as a 300 Savage in a 93 Spanish.

Ignoring the fact that it was waaaay past my bed time, I was on a roll. I pulled off the old barrel, and screwed the new one on. Of course the sights were on the bottom.

I decided to face the action, and this got the sights indexed. Had to face off the breach a bit to get the bolt to close. Small rings are built a little different without the inner C-ring.

Anyway, after finishing the stock sanding, inletting, and putting things together, this is what I have so far.

240828181.jpg

240828173.jpg

I still need to D&T for scope mounts and find a better rear sight. I think I used the good one I had on another project. I may try a folding one.

I still need to Tru-oil the stock and find a 300 Savage reamer, and bend the bolt different.

looks like a good start to a fun project! one suggestion, and you can tell me to take a flying leap, would be to thin down that stock. it looks like it could use some trimming to get the proportions in line with a small ring action. think light and trim...

That is a good rifle, just as is.

Although I would need telescopic sights, it is just fine as it is.

Those Fajen stocks for the small ring Mausers are not as plentiful as they used to be. That one was obviously from that time years ago that I got my start, when small ring Mausers were still considered as being sporter material.

And there wasn't a damned thing wrong in that.

Times change, and so does the supply of surplus rifles to experiment with. As much as I despise Ebay, they may be the best place to find the things that have gone out of vogue today.

Unless you happen to have a gun show in your area that has this type of stuff.

fritz

:rolleyes: forced into a new project is what they call it uh huh! ok,have to agree with fritz, leave as is just finish it up. your'e yooung yet, do ya good to pack it around in the woods. builds muscles ya know. Dave,i'm :lol: sending the pack off on fri. see ya later. Dave

Great score. I picked up a Fajen Mannlicher stock for the 96 last year.

If that stock were mine, I'd shorten the forend to 9" with the tip or without, and remove the white spacers. Finish and go hunting. If you shorten the forend you will need to recontour and that will thin things up nicely.

Nice Job!